Help with a pattern please

Katie Louise

Question

image.thumb.jpg.dd7a90e2814af6e59775572d00fd64ea.jpgimage.thumb.jpg.a11cf9aa6b80ffabe1e8e328ba682caf.jpgimage.thumb.jpg.29e7e91656537b9a725012916668a59c.jpgHi everyone, 

I am confused by this pattern.. I am up to the part that says ‘next row’ underneath ‘shape neck’ and I have too many stitches.. 12 instead of 9. For my latest row I did 5 slip stitches and then continued the pattern ie 3cH (counts as 1tr and 1cH) and then 1tr, 1cH, 1tr, 1cH, 1tr.

Any ideas about what I have done wrong? 
thanks,

K

Edited by Katie Louise

5 answers to this question

I would interpret the slip stitches as not counting, often slst are a way of 'scooting over' to reposition your stitches without cutting the yarn and starting at a new place.

The part after the slst is only 7 stitches by what you typed "(counts as 1tr and 1cH) and then 1tr, 1cH, 1tr, 1cH, 1tr."

I'm also counting 12 stitches below the slst row, not 13.

It also looks like you have a goof on the 3rd mesh row from the top, there's a mesh missing on the left side - sorry, ripping back is part of the process and this isn't very far, and unfortunately the error is really obvious in this stitch pattern.  Also, ripping back this little bit and being careful to count from this point up will help ensure you are set up correctly for the neck shaping. 

Don't feel bad, I've been crocheting for decades and have probably ripped miles of yarn out either due to mistakes or "this would look better if...."  

image.thumb.jpg.d93a2a74d7a8424a803e07974e210a51.jpgEek! Oh dear! I might have bitten off more than I can chew with this pattern. 

The 3rd mesh row from the top is really puzzling me (3rd row under shape armhole on the pattern). I’ve ripped back and tried to redo it but somehow I keep ending up with 14 stitches instead of 13 🤷‍♀️ I’ve drawn a little diagram.. are you able to tell me where I’m going wrong?

thanks! 

We are birds of a feather, I'm always diagramming when I run into a ?huh? spot.

In my diagram I just did 15 dashes in place of the  stitches that are supposed to be in row 1 after 'shape armhole'.  It does work out right as written but to make you feel better I did the same thing as you did - at first I missed the tr2tog in the third row.

scan0010.jpg