heathermc73

Is this a crocheted bead??

Question

Posted (edited)

Can anyone tell me how this is done??  It's a "bead" closure for an adjustable bracelet.  You can call it a slider, I suppose.  Is it a silk covered bead?  Or is this crochet silk string around some kind of stuffing??  This is a bracelet out of India, and I know their work can be very intricate.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Heather

MSB0449_2048x2048.jpg

IMG_2819_530x@2x.jpg

lnea.jpg

10329.jpg

Edited by heathermc73

8 answers to this question

Posted (edited)

Could be, I'm not sure if it would keep the cord in it's place, tho.

There's a technique in Irish lace that uses 'padding cord'), where you wrap the either the doily thread or a thicker cord around (something, the end of a crochet hook probably) several times and then crochet around the circle, making sort of a 'donut', but flatter than this near sphere.  I suppose you could expand that idea to make that ball, or possibly if one could enlarge the hole of a bead enough....

edit-  a bunch of examples in this antique book, the centers of the flowers on page 5 (and elsewhere), or grapes on page 13.

Edited by Granny Square

Thank you Villager! This is a GREAT start!  I have fallen down the rabbit hole of research, to finding the "recipe" to this elusive knit slider bead.  I'm actually a jewelry designer, and haven't really delved into the crochet world, but have ALWAYS been interested.  On the top of my list, is to learn how to knit/crochet from my 85 yr old grandmother.  Not only as a bonding moment, but before she leaves me.  Nonetheless, I would love any help/guidance/instructions on how to make this "bead".  I see that there are instructions in the post that you had given, but it's like pig latin to me.  Any other suggestions?  Also, I have zoomed up close, into a few photos of this "bead", and it seems like there is some kind of "stuffing", that looks a little similar to white polyester rope, the kind you would find at a hardware store.  Not sure if that makes sense?  

On your last question, the 'stuffing' would make perfect sense with my padding cord theory.

Except, the more I think about it, and looking closer at your photo...it's easy to crochet around a shallow flat ring (like making those 'grapes', or crocheting around a very open o-ring shape for a circular hanger on a pot holder) but crocheting around such a deep/thick sphere shape with a tiny opening would be difficult.  I'm thinking it is more likely done by starting with a sewing technique (the ridge looks likely to be a half hitch knot actually) which technically isn't sewing but it would be easier to wrangle the thread with a needle than without.  This would be easy to try if you have some thread and a needle lying around, start it like I described the Irish 'grapes'-wrap some thread around a pencil or nail for the 'stuffing' and then thread a needle, take the 'donut' off the pencil and 'sew' (guide the thread with the needle) thru the hole, around the ring, back thru the hole, half hitch knot, repeat.  

Back to your 'learn to crochet question' of course there are videos for everything.  Here is a list of how-to-videos from Annie' Attic (they are part of the same company that publishes Crochet! and Crochet World magazines).  There table of contents is sort of backwards, it starts with "Beyond Basic Stitches" and the "Basic Stitches" is way down the list.  Another site, New Stitch a Day - I've linked to the main page, go to the top menu under 'Stitchionary', there are 2 sections on crochet, techniques and stitch types, including basic stitches.  

Also, this site is really helpful for a LOT of things, not just crochet stitches - also how to read a pattern, about yarn weights, measurements, lots of good stuff.  

2 hours ago, Granny Square said:

On your last question, the 'stuffing' would make perfect sense with my padding cord theory.

Except, the more I think about it, and looking closer at your photo...it's easy to crochet around a shallow flat ring (like making those 'grapes', or crocheting around a very open o-ring shape for a circular hanger on a pot holder) but crocheting around such a deep/thick sphere shape with a tiny opening would be difficult.  I'm thinking it is more likely done by starting with a sewing technique (the ridge looks likely to be a half hitch knot actually) which technically isn't sewing but it would be easier to wrangle the thread with a needle than without.  This would be easy to try if you have some thread and a needle lying around, start it like I described the Irish 'grapes'-wrap some thread around a pencil or nail for the 'stuffing' and then thread a needle, take the 'donut' off the pencil and 'sew' (guide the thread with the needle) thru the hole, around the ring, back thru the hole, half hitch knot, repeat.  

Back to your 'learn to crochet question' of course there are videos for everything.  Here is a list of how-to-videos from Annie' Attic (they are part of the same company that publishes Crochet! and Crochet World magazines).  There table of contents is sort of backwards, it starts with "Beyond Basic Stitches" and the "Basic Stitches" is way down the list.  Another site, New Stitch a Day - I've linked to the main page, go to the top menu under 'Stitchionary', there are 2 sections on crochet, techniques and stitch types, including basic stitches.  

Also, this site is really helpful for a LOT of things, not just crochet stitches - also how to read a pattern, about yarn weights, measurements, lots of good stuff.  

This is really great stuff here Villager.  Incredibly helpful, and thorough.  You're making this newbie feel quite welcome. You're amazing...thank you!!

You are very welcome!  Good luck with your closure!  (pssst - we are all villagers, notice 'villager' appears under your name too--I'm 'Granny Square').  A long time ago there were different words there based on how many posts you had, and time since joining, but now everybody is a villager - except Donna (administrator) and Amy (co-owner).

On 5/8/2020 at 2:35 PM, Granny Square said:

You are very welcome!  Good luck with your closure!  (pssst - we are all villagers, notice 'villager' appears under your name too--I'm 'Granny Square').  A long time ago there were different words there based on how many posts you had, and time since joining, but now everybody is a villager - except Donna (administrator) and Amy (co-owner).

Oooh, got it! Thanks Granny Square.  I've got newbie written, (or shall I say knitted ;) )all over me.  I'm looking very forward to seeing what this site has to offer.  Plus, figuring out how to make this darn knitted bead!!  Thanks again for you advice, support, and help.  Talk soon.  Oh, and if you are celebrating....Happy Mothers Day!!

Posted (edited)

By all means, spend the time with your grandmother to learn crochet. I learned from my mother and paternal grandmother and cherish those moments immensely. Especially the stories that went along with the time spent.

I too am going with the bead being crochet. However, it could be Macramé. If it's crochet I would guess a long slip stitch going around the bead. Just a big guess though. Either way, you would need a bead with an opening large enough to accommodate the thread going inside for each stitch. I'm going to experiment tonight after my kids leave or possibly tomorrow. 

Edited by ReniC

On 5/10/2020 at 12:25 PM, ReniC said:

By all means, spend the time with your grandmother to learn crochet. I learned from my mother and paternal grandmother and cherish those moments immensely. Especially the stories that went along with the time spent.

I too am going with the bead being crochet. However, it could be Macramé. If it's crochet I would guess a long slip stitch going around the bead. Just a big guess though. Either way, you would need a bead with an opening large enough to accommodate the thread going inside for each stitch. I'm going to experiment tonight after my kids leave or possibly tomorrow. 

Hi ReniC,

Thank you for your reply, and I apologize that I hadn't responded sooner.  Also, THANK YOU for trying to figure this whole bead situation out.  I haven't attempted much more than working with a bead to get this look, but I have come to the conclusion, it must NOT be a bead, but crochet only.  If you have any other suggestions, please please please let me know.  Thank you!  Much love and health, Heather