HEEEEEELLP!

Kimberlyvp

Question

I am stuck on one of my patterns for my stitch sampler Afghan.    I can’t decipher a specific row and figure out what to do..

Row 3: Ch 2, fptr (see Stitch Guide) around next st on row before last, *sk next st on this row behind fptr just made, hdc in each of next 2 sts on this row, sk next
4 sts on row before last, [fptr around next st on row before last, sk next st on this row behind fptr just made, hdc in each of next 2 sts on this row] 3 times, sk next
4 sts on row before last, fptr around next st, rep from * once, sk next st on this row behind fptr just made, hdc In last stitch, turn

its the sk next 4 stitches on row before last  that’s confusing me...I don’t know where to go after the 2 hdc 

5 answers to this question

Welcome to the 'ville!

Is there a slanted overlay design element in your pattern, like this / ?  It is quite a stretch, but not that unusual for a post stitch design.  Maybe a diamond pattern?

So you have made 3 stitches on row 3 (2 hdc and a post), now you are stretching way forward to make a post around the 8th stitch stitch in row 1 (you just finished stitch #3, skip 4 would be stitch 7, but you are making a post in the next stitch (stitch 8 ) 2 rows below.

Edited by Granny Square
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Granny Square said:

Welcome to the 'ville!

Is there a slanted overlay design element in your pattern, like this / ?  It is quite a stretch, but not that unusual for a post stitch design.  Maybe a diamond pattern?

So you have made 3 stitches on row 3 (2 hdc and a post), now you are stretching way forward to make a post around the 8th stitch stitch in row 1 (you just finished stitch #3, skip 4 would be stitch 7, but you are making a post in the next stitch (stitch 8 ) 2 rows below.

Oh my gosh...I thought I was stretching too far!   I’ve never worked in rows below work done before.   Your explanation was so helpful!! Thank you so much 

78B917DB-FBB9-4865-A33F-91E236D39C97.jpeg

Hi Kelly, welcome to the 'ville!  I don't have a way to make a video, but there might be generic videos out there of the element that you are stuck on that will help you see what is going on.

Did you read through and understand all of the posts above?  The pattern is very clearly written.  The only element of the portion of the pattern shared above that is beyond basic stitches is the front post stitch. 

Have you found videos of how to make just a front post stitch?  These stitches are made the same as a 'normal' stitch except started in an unusual spot (not in a stitch but around the post or body a stitch).  The below points are all the elements and rules I can think of to describe a front post stitch (edit, and should all be covered in a well made video of a post stitch so you can see what I'm talking about): 

--A front post stitch is made in a way that pulls a stitch (usually a US DC, but not always) toward the front of the work, to make the raised lines that you see in this pattern. 

--A front post stitch is often, but not always, made into the stitch in the row and stitch directly below the 'current' stitch.  It can also be made 2 or more rows down and a number of stiches to the left or right of the current position of your hook, like the petals are in this pattern.  When there is a big 'stretch' like this between your hook and the post of the stitch you are working into, you often use a treble or taller stitch to 'stretch' the distance needed to keep the fabric flat.  In other words, the stitch you work into could be a DC, but the stitch you make might be a treble or taller

--You always skip working into the top of the next stitch in the current row, when you make a post stitch anywhere below, because making a post stitch in the current row 'uses' that stitch 'theoretically', even if it doesn't literally.  If you don't skip that stitch, you will create an increase that should not be there.  In other words, if you have made 10 stitches in the current row, 'normally' you'd work into the top 11th stitch in the row below, but if you work around a stitch elsewhere, it counts as if was in the 11th stitch)

--To make a front post stitch: yarn over (however many times for the stitch you are making), find the stitch in the row below that you will be working around the post of, insert the hook front to back on the right side of that stitch's post, across the back and return to the front on the left side of the post, yarn over and complete the stitch.

Edited by Granny Square