My granny squares are shrinking?

Jojeba

Question

Newbie here! I learned how to do granny squares two months ago and was on a roll, making loads for a blanket. But then I took a week break, and since coming back to it my granny squares are coming up smaller. Same pattern, same wool... I can’t figure it out! Any advice?

2 answers to this question

Welcome to the 'ville!

Did you grab the wrong hook by chance? 

Sometimes our stitch gauge can vary one way or the other if we are working on a big thing that gets heavier and harder to wrangle, or when we are in a different mood, or when the zombies are running amok on the TV show we are watching while crocheting...hard to say.

When I was a very new crocheter I realized I was crocheting super tight (in general) and I was able to train myself to ease up  on my death grip, but part of that was that I was using the wrong part of the tapered hook--right at the throat and not at the shaft, and it's the shaft that 'sizes' the stitches (if you use an in-line hook the shaft/throat wouldn't be a  factor tho--tapered vs inline).

• Like 1

I agree with Granny Square.  I know even now I try to write down when I've changed a pattern to a different hook size because I will go back to the pattern as written.  I have an additional challenge that recently I picked up a different brand of hooks that look the same and the color schemes are different so I may think I'm picking up ... hook and instead I've picked up .... so again size can be off if I don't check that I have the intended hook.  My long winded point is that it is easy to switch hook sizes for a variety of reasons.

I would play with your hooks to see which one gives you the same size granny.  I also have challenges with gauge so what you might want to do is measure and see how big your squares are at certain check point rows so you don't get to the end and realize now I need to frog the whole thing.  Instead you know early on you are bigger or smaller than expected.