Help with counting stitches

Katie Louise

Question

Hi everyone,
This might be a simple question but I’m confused! I have a pattern that says make 22cH, then 1tr into 3rd cH from hook, 1tr into each cH to end, turn (21). I don’t understand why I should have 21 stitches.. I only have 19.. I thought the turning chain doesn’t count as stitches..??

thanks in advance!

2 answers to this question

Is your pattern in UK terms?  Assuming so based on the turning chain of 3 would be for US DC/UK TR. (but normally you would start with chain x, UK TR in the fourth chain, leaving 3 unused chains, which DO count as a stitch)

So speaking UK...Conventionally, the turning  chain rules are:

UK DC=turning chain is 1, it does not count as a stitch

UK TR=turning chain is 3, does count as a stitch.  Taller stitches are the same except add 1 chain the taller it gets but the chain always counts as a stitch.

However, your pattern is unconventional-ish.  It is the same as UK TR in that the turning chain counts as a stitch, but the treatment of how it does so is different and it is using a turning chain of 2, not 3--the latter may be because the designer makes short stitches perhaps?.

Let's see if I can type a 'stitch diagram that makes sense   

o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o  Here are 22 chains.  The red 2 are the turning chain that will act as a stitch.  The blue chain is where you will make the first 'real' TR stitch.    When you turn and make TRs in the remaining chains, it  will look like this 

|   |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |   |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  = 20 real trebles and 2 chains that count as 1 treble.

Edited by Granny Square