Pls Help

amisan

Question

I’m trying Crocheting again.  The first time I tried it; I had a hard time.  I went to free classes in Honolulu, Hawaii.  However; the teacher was hard to understand.  So I gave up!!!

I’m trying it again after some time went by.  My question is “when u make a chain and then u do a single crochet (I think that’s the step after u make a chain); how do u manage to get ur crochet hook through the 1st loop when ur doing the single crochet?”

8 answers to this question

Have you tried watching You Tube videos?  I find when I'm trying to learn something new in crochet seeing how it is done is sometimes easier than someone describing it to me.  There are lots of people that make up close and personal videos so you can see the hook as they are moving it through the stitch so you can see what is happening.  You might find that helpful to learn the basics.

• Like 1

Welcome to the 'ville!  Not to confuse you, but there are 3 ways to work into a chain.  One way makes a slightly nicer edge but it is a pain in the...okole to execute--working into the back bump.  I learned a different way starting out (way before the internet), and when I encountered this method (working into the back bump), I tried really hard to like it but decided life is too short for its extra fiddly-ness and you have to switch to a bigger hook for just the chain because it pulls the chain up tight.  If I were teaching a beginner, I would NOT teach this method; I'm sure if I were taught this way as a beginner, I'd not have stuck with crochet (I already knew how to knit).  

The  way I was taught,  is to have the chain-looking part facing you and insert the hook front to back thru just the top loop of the chain.  This is not fiddly and does not pull the fabric tight; it works in any chain-starting situation.

Good luck!  I briefly lived in Hawaii as a kid, I've seen books with crocheted lei patterns that are lovely, but not much use for leis on the mainland.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Granny Square said:

Welcome to the 'ville!  Not to confuse you, but there are 3 ways to work into a chain.  One way makes a slightly nicer edge but it is a pain in the...okole to execute--working into the back bump.  I learned a different way starting out (way before the internet), and when I encountered this method (working into the back bump), I tried really hard to like it but decided life is too short for its extra fiddly-ness and you have to switch to a bigger hook for just the chain because it pulls the chain up tight.  If I were teaching a beginner, I would NOT teach this method; I'm sure if I were taught this way as a beginner, I'd not have stuck with crochet (I already knew how to knit).  

The  way I was taught,  is to have the chain-looking part facing you and insert the hook front to back thru just the top loop of the chain.  This is not fiddly and does not pull the fabric tight; it works in any chain-starting situation.

Good luck!  I briefly lived in Hawaii as a kid, I've seen books with crocheted lei patterns that are lovely, but not much use for leis on the mainland.

Hi 👋 

So last night 🌙 I watched 2 different online videos.  I found an easier way of doing the next step after u finish the chain.   

Here is a picture of what I'm working on.   Does this look right? 

received_3489416124406392.jpeg

13 minutes ago, Granny Square said:

Looks right to me!

Awesome 👌;  thanks for replying back.

When I get to the next line up do I do the same thing for each row? Or is it something different?

Well, the next line you will be working into the tops of the sc stitches, the 'foundation chain' is just at the beginning.

There is a technique used for a variety of reasons to crochet into the back loop only of a crochet stitch (BLO) like I told you to do for the chain, but the normal way to stitch into the top of a sc or any other not-chain stitch is to insert the hook under both of the top loops of the stitch.  (note, if you work back and forth in the back loop only, it makes ribbing, which is undoubtedly not what you want right now).  Here is just the first tutorial I found that shows this, it also explains the front and back loop https://www.nickimerrall.co.uk/beingknitterly/crochet-tutorial-insert-hook-top-stitches-rh/?v=79cba1185463 (LOL, she calls ribbing 'concertinated' fabric).

2 hours ago, Granny Square said:

......….but it is a pain in the...okole to execute-...……..

LOL! Haven't heard okole since I was a kid. My uncle by marriage was from Hawaii and used to tell us kids to "move the okoles" when we were dawdling.