Magic Ring vs. Single Crochet in Chain?

Pepkie

Question

The pattern I'm attempting asks for 4 sc in 2nd chain from hook, but I get 2 sc in and I lose the chain I'm supposed to be going into. Can I replace this step and make a magic ring with 4 crochets or would that give me a different outcome from what the pattern is asking for?

3 answers to this question

No- unless you are working in a circle, center out--a LOT of patterns for a sc circle start with 'chain 2, put 6 sc in 2nd ch from hook' (and that's the whole round, except maybe joining to the beginning).  But if you have made more than 2 chains, and are told to do something after that second chain, then no.

Perhaps try to put a stitch marker in that chain?  I'm not sure what you mean by 'losing it' except trying to find it.  Putting 4 stitches into 1 stitch, or 1 chain, is nothing, I've done patterns that put up to about 5 times that many into 1 stitch.  

I've seen advice from master crocheters from CGOA that the chain into a circle is a firmer hold for a blanket than a magic circle because a lot of folks don't anchor down the end of the magic circle and it eventually works it way out again.  For an on-display  doily rarely pulled or washed, it's not a problem. 

That being said, you could do a magic circle -- it's my preferred way.  I guess if you pull it real tight, it could close up smaller than the designer intended and you could get a small pucker. 

As far as losing track of  where to place the hook, I use a contrasting piece of small ribbon/another color thread to help me keep sight of it.  I like flat ribbon because it's slippery and shiny and more visible and easy to pull out when the circle is finished.