Alpine Stitch Blanket Questions

Tgrady

Question

I am very new to crocheting but I am making a baby blanket. I am doing an striped Alpine stitch with Caron simply soft yarn. My problem or question is when I switch colors the back side has an obvious dash like moris code - - - -is this how it should be? My colors are gray and white so it really stands out.. I would greatly appreciate any help. 

3 answers to this question

Welcome to the 'ville and to crochet!

https://www.windingroadcrochet.com/alpine-stitch-crochet-tutorial/  is this the pattern? 

It's very pretty, I've not run into that stitch pattern before.  But I can tell you just seeing that a front post stitch is involved, with no back post, is that it CAN'T be the same front and back.  I've not done an accounting but I'd guess the majority of textured stitches are going to be 1 sided, like the 'Aran' style blankets, anything with cables, bobbles, etc.  Or most colorwork blankets as well for that matter, unless it it done tapestry style is going to have strands of yarn ('floats') running across the back.

To me, this stitch is probably going to look best in a single color.  I haven't seen it anywhere other than this blog  Granny Square linked , so i haven't seen examples of it in stripes, so I could be wrong, and I see she used 3 colors for the swatch tutorial, so it is easier to see the separate rows.  But for the overall texture in a blanket, A single color will bring that out the best.

Other wise, if the color makes dashes on the reverse, maybe think of it as an accent like topstitching on a jacket?  

Also the texture on the reverse is probably quite different than the front as well, isn't it?  so the dashes of color aren't the only difference.  

Edited by magiccrochetfan

I didn't scroll down far enough to see the stripes in the row by row tutorial.  IMO this is one of those patterns that look better in 1 color to show off the elegant stitch pattern (like all of her examples except the tutorial); changing colors every row does not do this stitch pattern any favors.  I have a feeling the designer changed colors each row only in her tutorial so you could see how the rows interacted with each other. 

This stitch pattern would work in wide stripes (several rows of 1 color)--which is what I was imagining from your question-- but is still going to be 1-sided.  If you want a reversible blanket, stay away from textured stitches (post stitches, popcorns, bobbles, etc).