Crochet

Tanya68

Question

Doing a baby cot blanket. Need to understand this row's instructions. Does it mean, one double crochet and one single crochet into first tr (ie, treble stich 'head' in row before). Then do this along the rest of the row?

(1dc, 1ch) in first tr (counts as tr throughout), 1tr in each tr to turning ch, 1tr in top of turning ch.

1 answer to this question

Hi, welcome to the 'ville!

No, it means exactly what the words are telling you, don't assume.  Yes, there are some patterns that have errors, but there are a lot more that are correct but 'sound funny' until you follow what it says word for word.  I'm also guessing you meant to type "chain" not "single crochet" here:

15 hours ago, Tanya68 said:

one double crochet and one single crochet into first tr

It is not uncommon to encounter an instruction at the beginning of a row, involving the turning chain that is atypical, that says 'counts as x throughout'.  It means to count it as x only when you are doing a turning chain, not substitute the atypical turning chain for that stitch anywhere else.

I'm suspicious of something, though.  Are you in the US (you mentioned sc, so I suspect so).  I'm wondering if this pattern is written in UK terms--not sure if you are aware that US and UK patterns use the same words for stitches, but they mean something else (except chain and slst mean the same in both).  In UK, there is no sc term, a US sc = UK dc.  A US dc = UK treble.  A US hdc is a UK htr...and so on.

The reason I suspect this, is that a non-standard way to 'turn and chain up' in US terms when the first stitch in a row will be US dc is to turn, chain 1, sc, chain 1 (the second chain is to raise the height to the level of a US dc).  The purpose of this alternate turning method is to reduce the gaps at the edges that the standard turning method for US dc creates (chain 3, skip first stitch, dc in the next stitch; at the end of the next row, stitch into the topmost of the 3 turning chains since it counts as a dc).  The sc in the first stitch instead fills in the gap that the other method creates.  At the end of the row, you need to remember to chain in to the top of the last stitch, which will be the chain after the sc from the row below.

Is there a link to the pattern on the 'net, or if it is not a free pattern, a picture of the finished item?  You should be able to tell if the stitches appear to be US dc or tr, or post a link here (don't post the whole pattern here) and we can help peer at it with you if you aren't sure.