finding first stitch of rounds

incandenZ

Question

Assuming you haven't been marking the beginning of continuous sc rounds, is there a good way find it visually? I've lost track at some point and there are a number of faint "lines" my eye can follow that could be where the round restarts but I'm not positive what I'm looking for. 

3 answers to this question

By continuous, do you mean worked in a spiral, not around, slip stitch into the first stitch of the round you just ended, chain up, start another round?  Not really, that's why the markers are suggested.

The only thing that would get you close is if you can tell where the VERY first stitch was; I'm guessing this is something started with the center pulled tight?  If you can follow that first stitch 'up' (it's going to drift to the right, it's the nature of crochet in the round with the same side facing).  If you were expecting it to be 'straight up' from the beginning, that is not going to happen unless you've done enough rounds to 'drift' all the way back there.

There are a bunch of tutorials and methods to straighten out the 'drift', but here is one site.  https://blog.irarott.com/blog/2017/02/09/mystery-of-slanted-seams-and-crochet-stitches/  She is calling it 'hook over', but I've also seen it called 'yarn under' (instead of yarn over).  This won't help you find the beginning of your piece, but it explains how to make it easier next time if you mark the first stitch...

yes I'm regretting not marking it now! it started with a chain of 5 slipped back into a ring with 6 sc then worked into the center. The pattern I'm using seems to indicate continuing single crochets right around in a spiral without any slip or chain stitches. I'm thinking there's maybe a way of figuring it out by counting the rows but the spiral makes this a little baffling. 

In crochet, 'fudge' is a verb, not a sweet dessert.  If you are supposed to do something different after x rounds, even if it is just to 'finish off' the piece, and YOU can't tell where the end end of a round is, nobody else will be able to tell, either. 

What you can do for a smooth transition to eliminate an abrupt 'stair step' after the last stitch is a slst then finish off and weave in the end--use an invisible finish to help the disguise https://www.crochetarcade.co.uk/invisible-finish-fasten-off-tutorial/