Increases in the round

incandenZ

Question

Hi I’m working on my first crochet project in the round from a vintage pattern and from the 4th to 40th rows the instructions indicate I should increase by 4 every row but not to place an increase exactly over a previous increase. I’m wondering if that instruction means it’s ok to work an increase into the 2nd stitch of a previous increase or to avoid both stitches of the increase altogether. If they are both to be avoided, is there a typical formula for spacing increases evenly while avoiding previous increases? 

4 answers to this question

Increasing by 4 each row sounds unusual even if you are making a round flat thing, like a doily in the round; even if you are making a square in the round you'd normally increase more than 1 stitch in the corners--I'm curious what you are making? Sounds like it will be a funnel shape.

In any event, on something like the top of a hat that starts with a center out-circle, I usually start with stacking the increases for the beginning few rows (because there's no room to scatter them at that point) and then when there are several stitches between the increases (not a set number, maybe about 6 or so?) I start to stagger the increases randomly.  Not even a crocheter is going to notice this, this is more to prevent the circle (assuming it's a circle?) from developing into a non-round shape (example, normally for a flat circle you'd increase 6 each round*, and if you stack the increases on top of each other it will end up a hexagon)

*Edit--I meant to say for a flat circle in SC you'd increase 6 in each round, in DC it would be 12...

Hope that isn't confusing...

Edited by Granny Square

Ah i see thank you that’s helpful! yes it’s meant to be a conical shape. I was just hoping to see if there’s some standard, ideal way of avoiding stacking like always increasing the stitch after the increase from the previous row, or if it’s preferable to randomize to avoid any unwanted shaping effect like the hexagon you mentioned. 

Gotcha.  I think, since it's only 4 stitches, and if you want it to be random: after a few rounds consider putting stitch markers at the increase points, and just aim to increase elsewhere in the next round and move the markers up to the new increase points as you go.  No counting!  If you have bobby pins lying around, they make great stitch markers as they don't snag, and pretty much stay put, and they are way less expensive than 'real' markers if you should lose one.