Need help with stitch

Hello, 

I am trying a new pattern that is a cable. I have attached the stitch i am having an issue with. It is the Double Crochet Front post stitch. 

I understand what that is but this seems to be a different version of it and it is just not making sense to me. This is my first cable pattern like this and it is beautiful however i am really struggling with it. If anyone could help me out that would be great. 

Heather

IMG_7788.jpg

Welcome to the 'ville!

Just to be more confusing, it should have been called an extended front post double crochet stitch (efpdc I guess).  Don't panic.

So a plain/normal dc:  yo, insert hook into stitch, yo, pull thru 2 loops, yo, pull thru 2 loops.

Extended dc: yo, insert hook into stitch, yo, pull thru 1 loop, yo, pull thru 2 loops, yo, pull thru 2 loops.  So the underlined part is the difference between a normal and an extended dc.  Your pattern does a good job explaining its construction, I hope my underline helps it to make sense.  

I can see why an intermediate height stitch makes sense for cables, especially if they are really wide, to help reach across more than 2 stitches.

By your saying "I understand what this is but it seems different", I'm guessing you understand the concept of where to put your hook for a front post stitch, I assume?  That part is the same, it's extended stitches that one doesn't run into as often.