First row curling

Julie George

Question

9 answers to this question

Hi Julie, welcome!  

Can you post a photo?  That would help us diagnose what is happening.  

Also tell us more about the project.  What yarn are you using?  And are you following a pattern?  If so tell us its name and location.  

I saw your post in the other thread which was about a piece that curved like a rainbow.  IS that what yours is doing?  If so, your problem is likely what they said to that person, your initial chain was too tight.  Solution is to use a bit bigger hook just for the initial chain.  

Or is yours curling up like a corkscrew?  

24 minutes ago, magiccrochetfan said:

Hi Julie, welcome!  

Can you post a photo?  That would help us diagnose what is happening.  

Also tell us more about the project.  What yarn are you using?  And are you following a pattern?  If so tell us its name and location.  

I saw your post in the other thread which was about a piece that curved like a rainbow.  IS that what yours is doing?  If so, your problem is likely what they said to that person, your initial chain was too tight.  Solution is to use a bit bigger hook just for the initial chain.  

Or is yours curling up like a corkscrew?  

I'm using 100% cotton sugar and cream brand and doubling the yarn for thicker outcome.

20200423_124829.jpg

to me, that doesn't look bad at all really.  You might need to start over with a looser chain, but maybe not.  

I try to block things before i make any big decisions about changes.  blocking really is just washing and drying the item (unless it is something like lace that needs to be pinned into shape).  how do you plan to wash the completed mats?  

If you'll hand wash and air dry, then i would just secure the yarn end---finish this row first --- then soak the piece.  you can leave the yarn ball attached and don't soak it. then lay the piece flat to dry.  See how it looks after it's dry.  

If you'll machine wash/dry them you'll need to secure the yarn well, cut off the yarn ball, and put the piece in the machine(s).  

So once you've laundered it you can see if it is more or less curved.  If you air dry it flat, you may be able to pat it into shape and have it stay pretty square.  

ETA---another thought, its possible that the slight (in my eyes) curve is caused by the sc row, it looks a bit tighter than the hdc rows.  so maybe just make your first row an hdc row.  

Edited by magiccrochetfan

I agree with Magiccrochetfan that the chain is probably too tight.  How are you working into your chain?  If you are using the 'back bump', you really need to make the chain with a hook at least 1 size larger than the one you will work the rest of the piece in, because the back bump pulls the chain up tight. 

I dislike that method because IMO it has more failings than positive attributes--instead, with the chain side facing you, stitch into the top loop only of the chain, leaving the back bump and the bottom loop of the chain unused.  This gives you a neutral tension for your first row, it does not pull tighter than your fabric, and you  don't have to switch hooks.

11 minutes ago, magiccrochetfan said:

to me, that doesn't look bad at all really.  You might need to start over with a looser chain, but maybe not.  

I try to block things before i make any big decisions about changes.  blocking really is just washing and drying the item (unless it is something like lace that needs to be pinned into shape).  how do you plan to wash the completed mats?  

If you'll hand wash and air dry, then i would just secure the yarn end---finish this row first --- then soak the piece.  you can leave the yarn ball attached and don't soak it. then lay the piece flat to dry.  See how it looks after it's dry.  

If you'll machine wash/dry them you'll need to secure the yarn well, cut off the yarn ball, and put the piece in the machine(s).  

So once you've laundered it you can see if it is more or less curved.  If you air dry it flat, you may be able to pat it into shape and have it stay pretty square.  

ETA---another thought, its possible that the slight (in my eyes) curve is caused by the sc row, it looks a bit tighter than the hdc rows.  so maybe just make your first row an hdc row.  

Thanks so much for the advise .I love to crochet and want to get better and try new things .

Have a good day

Just now, Granny Square said:

I agree with Magiccrochetfan that the chain is probably too tight.  How are you working into your chain?  If you are using the 'back bump', you really need to make the chain with a hook at least 1 size larger than the one you will work the rest of the piece in, because the back bump pulls the chain up tight. 

I dislike that method because IMO it has more failings than positive attributes--instead, with the chain side facing you, stitch into the top loop only of the chain, leaving the back bump and the bottom loop of the chain unused.  This gives you a neutral tension for your first row, it does not pull tighter than your fabric, and you  don't have to switch hooks.

Thanks so much

Just a suggestion, but since you are using 2 strands together for thickness, try going up to a J/ hook.

That looks pretty normal to me and you've gotten great suggestions.  Since it's cotton, I usually chain much looser for the first row or use a larger hook for the first row to force larger loops.