Unclear instructions of pattern

seva

Question

Hi,

wish there is some one can help me in my question.

I have this free pattern from Nako: shoulder wrap with vals.

https://nako.com.tr/dergi-2019/vals-ile-omuz-sallari-en/index.html
The pattern doesn’t give much information, and I’m new in reading diagrams. But I searched on that and it was informative but my main problem remain as it is.

i have a big trouble in knowing the directions of the work in the diagram, It’s so confusing.

i even asked in another site about it and they admit it’s not usual! They give great advices and I made 2 samples but still can’t figure this out.
what I hope for if it’s ok is only the written  3 or 4 rows of the pattern so I can understand the matter of the confusing directions of the blocks. or any similar pattern you can point me to or a tutorial.

anything could be helpful.

thanks a lot & pardon my requests

7 answers to this question

Hi Seva, welcome to the ville :hook

I saw a post about this pattern on the site called Ravelry a few days ago.  Did you see that?  Someone made a nice chart and there was quite a bit of discussion that may be helpful for you.  here is the link to that https://www.ravelry.com/discuss/patterns/4027198/1-25   you may have to sign up at Ravelry to read it.  (Or was it you who started that thread?)  

You can post a photo of your samples and we can try to make suggestions.  

If you haven't worked with this kind of visual pattern before, it might be good to practice on some other things until you get comfortable with using the symbols.  

i can sort of explain it but i can't rewrite it.  

You start this by making what is shown in black where it says "10 chains", right in the middle of the diagram.  then you stop and begin with a new color, slip stitch to the first piece, then make chains, then make dc stitches back across those chains til you got to the first piece.  Next, slip stitch to the corner of the first piece, chain 3 and dc across the top of the first piece.  then chain 3 and slip stitch to the other top corner of the first piece.  Make chains, then dc into the chains WORKING UPSIDE DOWN to the rest of it at this point,  then slip stitch to the bottom corner of the first piece.  after this, you start to the right, where it says "color no. 1", and continue that row working to the left.  Again the last block of this row is worked upside down.  

Edited by magiccrochetfan

9 hours ago, magiccrochetfan said:

I saw a post about this pattern on the site called Ravelry a few days ago.  Did you see that?  Someone made a nice chart and there was quite a bit of discussion that may be helpful for you.  here is the link to that https://www.ravelry.com/discuss/patterns/4027198/1-25   you may have to sign up at Ravelry to read it.  (Or was it you who started that thread?)  

If you haven't worked with this kind of visual pattern before, it might be good to practice on some other things until you get comfortable with using the symbols.  

You start this by making what is shown in black where it says "10 chains", right in the middle of the diagram.  then you stop and begin with a new color, slip stitch to the first piece, then make chains, then make dc stitches back across those chains til you got to the first piece.  Next, slip stitch to the corner of the first piece, chain 3 and dc across the top of the first piece.  then chain 3 and slip stitch to the other top corner of the first piece.  Make chains, then dc into the chains WORKING UPSIDE DOWN to the rest of it at this point,  then slip stitch to the bottom corner of the first piece.  after this, you start to the right, where it says "color no. 1", and continue that row working to the left.  Again the last block of this row is worked upside down.  

hello Kathy, thanks for the warm welcome. Yes that was me asking in the post on ravelry..and for sure guys there helped a lot in explaining the pattern, but I couldn’t get it and felt embarrassed to ask again :). I tried everything they told me about, I saw the similar pattern and watched its tutorial, I started learning reading diagrams, I made samples, but with that all I still feel it’s weird pattern structure. Anyhow I think I must be patient and try it more and this time with you instructions above which I’m grateful for.

whenever I succeed in making this pattern I will post the pic to ravelry and here too, and hope that anyone read my posts about my trouble with any pattern they can be benefit from them.

Thank you for helping me.💐

& have a nice day

I have no idea if this will help or confuse things even more, but that stitch pattern resembles one that came up in a pattern search request in the below linked thread.  Near the end  of the thread Empress Busy Bee posted a couple of pattern links, one on the net, that look like the rectangular blanket version of that stitch pattern, and had a video.

https://forum.crochetville.com/topic/162567-country-store-afghan/?do=findComment&comment=2770361

35 minutes ago, Granny Square said:

I have no idea if this will help or confuse things even more, but that stitch pattern resembles one that came up in a pattern search request in the below linked thread.  Near the end  of the thread Empress Busy Bee posted a couple of pattern links, one on the net, that look like the rectangular blanket version of that stitch pattern, and had a video.

https://forum.crochetville.com/topic/162567-country-store-afghan/?do=findComment&comment=2770361

I have been given that pattern link before and it helped, but her pattern is way more simpler than the one I have, she works in one direction all the way and in right side only. In this pattern is different, it has lots of arrows direct you to many directions, and I really dnt know what is the correct order to go with these arrows.

someone on other site gave me this explained diagram and it was great but when I applied it there was confusing things too, sometimes I go to the opposite side of what she said and I think maybe bcoz I’m left handed crocheter so I find it difficult to follow.

I even visited Nako ( where the design from) page on Facebook and found post about the pattern but also no tutorial, though there was many tutorial for other patterns. They are Turkish and I thought maybe if I search with their language I could find someone has done it already. I will see how it come.

thank you so much for your reply

14FB4FE8-05CB-453D-896D-327625BF7230.jpeg

12 hours ago, magiccrochetfan said:

I did this last night, I still didn’t try a new sample to follow ur explanation. I drew some numbers so you know the direction of my work, also I drew arrows in yellow and blue to ask you if this is the way I follow in all rows?.

and something else, why there is so many holes between blocks? It makes the piece looks horrible..i dnt like it

E9AF3345-43F7-4D12-B7D5-56762ED42C85.jpeg

Edited by seva

7 hours ago, seva said:

I did this last night, I still didn’t try a new sample to follow ur explanation. I drew some numbers so you know the direction of my work, also I drew arrows in yellow and blue to ask you if this is the way I follow in all rows?.

and something else, why there is so many holes between blocks? It makes the piece looks horrible..i dnt like it

E9AF3345-43F7-4D12-B7D5-56762ED42C85.jpeg

Yes, that all looks right to me.  

I see a hole between 1 and 2, which I think is just because your slip stitch is a bit loose.  Also a little bit on 3 where the chains are apart from the dc stitches.  I think you can work on that later, after you get comfortable with the pattern.  A soft, slightly fuzzy yarn like a wool or cotton will probably look best to make a more solid piece.  You could try tightening those chains too.  

You mentioned you were embarrassed to ask more questions.  but really we all have questions at times, and people who post to try to help are doing so because we enjoy the discussions.  So please ask whatever you need to.  If everybody runs out of ideas, we will say so!  😆

31 minutes ago, magiccrochetfan said:

Yes, that all looks right to me.  

I see a hole between 1 and 2, which I think is just because your slip stitch is a bit loose.  Also a little bit on 3 where the chains are apart from the dc stitches.  I think you can work on that later, after you get comfortable with the pattern.  A soft, slightly fuzzy yarn like a wool or cotton will probably look best to make a more solid piece.  You could try tightening those chains too.  

You mentioned you were embarrassed to ask more questions.  but really we all have questions at times, and people who post to try to help are doing so because we enjoy the discussions.  So please ask whatever you need to.  If everybody runs out of ideas, we will say so!  😆

😀😀that’s a great encouragement, I will ask then whenever I’m stuck in this pattern😅

do you know that maybe I’m the first on the Internet who tried this pattern, I mean oh I searched everywhere Facebook Instagram twitter Pinterest and YouTube, tried the turkish language, used image search, asked the company page on Facebook and asked a lady on YouTube who make tutorials for the company’s designs.

it’s like if no one like this pattern enough to make :(

no problem, I’m going to do more samples till I get it right..sooner or later🧶

lets hope for better

ps: thanks for ur advice about the holes, I wil work on it.

Edited by seva