Help Finding Specific Virus Blanket Pattern

MoonPhoenix

Question

Don't be fooled by the title--the pattern is actually called a "virus blanket." When I first found the design, I thought it meant that the person made it during the shelter-in-place order as a result of the current Coronavirus pandemic, but upon more research, I discovered that's what this pattern is really named. I'm a crochet newbie so maybe most of you already knew this, but I'm also an over-thinker so just wanted to be mindful about wording =)

Anyway! I'm looking for a new crochet project and fell in love with the colors used in Red Heart's Super Saver Latte Stripe yarn, which is what led me to the following blanket that I want to recreate (using the same pattern and yarn, if possible): https://www.reddit.com/r/crochet/comments/9134d9/another_redditor_inspired_me_to_do_a_virus_shawl/

I've looked into virus pattern but haven't found one that looks quite the same. I've also never used a multicolored yarn (usually work with one color at a time) and am not sure if there is a specific way to work the Latte Stripe yarn so that it looks like the photo in the link above. Any advice? Thank you!

3 answers to this question

Welcome to the 'ville!  And yes, the virus shawl pattern is well known and has been around for a while before the current mess, not sure the origins of it's name except that the curves and filet lace kinda sorta vaguely resemble a virus (an orb with things sticking out), I guess. 

So, you've linked to a photo of someone's project of the shawl pattern - nice colorway, and I may be wrong, but I suspect that the maker 'cut and pasted' colors in the skein to get it to look like that, it is just TOO perfectly transitioned to the rows.  I have done that to a more limited extent with socks & self-striping sock yarn, but more simply making one sock starting wherever the beginning of the skein was, then cutting the yarn to the same spot in the color gradation to match where the first sock started so the second one looked the same.  

I'm no expert at variegated yarn, except for socks I avoid it because it pretty much always disappoints, so hopefully a variegated yarn fan will chime in with other thoughts.  If I wanted to replicate that shawl, or blanket color scheme, I'd buy skeins of those colors (edit, for clarity, each skein a solid color) and do it that way.  It seems to me when Red Heart was Coats & Clark, there was a cross reference where you could find the solids that matched various variegated schemes, but not sure if that still exists under Yarnspirations (I looked but couldn't find one). 

Edited by Granny Square

Hi ladies, I was looking in at Granny S' reply to a post of mine and saw "virus blanket" and thought the worst? But it is a lovely concentric pattern isn't it. It seems to me that the only restriction is the mind of the person with the hook 😃

That's very true Johnsjob  :yes

Moon Phoenix, I just realized I spoke to your last paragraph but forgot you also wanted to find different versions of the "virus" stitch pattern.

This link takes you to Ravelry's pattern site where I've typed in "virus blanket" in the search area.  I think if you are not a member, it may not 'remember' the search parameter, but you should be able to re-enter that, and choose options at the menu on the left side to narrow it down.  There were only 8 options under 'virus blanket' (and different shapes, interesting) but 18 under 'virus shawl'.  Unfortunately now, if you just type 'virus' you will get a bunch of little toy virus dolls (ewww) in addition to shawls and blankets.