Difference between working behind and working in front

JennaEst

Question

I’m not understanding what the difference is or what the pattern means when it says “working behind tr just made” and “working in front of tr just made.” I tried it a few different ways and it doesn’t seem to look right. Here is the full pattern for reference:

Row 2: Ch 3, [sk next 2 sts, tr in each of next 2 sts, working behind tr just made, tr in first sk st, tr in 2nd sk st, dc in next st] across, turn. 

Row 3: Ch 3, [sk next 2 sts, tr in each of next 2 sts, working in front of tr just made, tr in first sk st, tr in 2nd sk st, dc in next st] across, turn. 

Thank you! 

1 answer to this question

You are making some sort of cable, or crossed stitch.

When you do this, you will be making stitches out of order.  

"sk next 2 sts, tr in each of next 2 sts" gives you something that looks like this //_ _

Now, you need to fill in those skipped stitches.  Instead of working into the 2 red stitches in front of your current hook postion, you will work into the skipped blue stitches behind you _ _ //_ _

To do this, you need to reach your hook behind the 2 DC in my little sketch, and work the first DC into the farthest right skipped stitch first, and the second in the other skipped stitch.  Unfortunately I can't find a video for doing a 4 stitch cable in exactly that way.  It is very unintuitive and awkward, but not difficult.

This is the closest tutorial I could find, it is showing an 'X' stitch with involves 2 stitches crossing, not 4 as in your case.  Notice step 3 says you can make it behind or in front if the last stitch made, hopefully the curved arrow of the hook's path will help you visualize it.

Edited by Granny Square