Twisted amigurumi

JMarie

Question

I am creating a Toy Story Rex amigurumi. I have ripped it out twice now because the belly keeps twisting by the time I get to the tail. The belly is a different color yarn, so it’s very obvious. I realized I was slipstitching the entire project, so I ripped it out, but only to the neck. The second time I crocheted it, I did not slip stitch at the end of each round, but I am still seeing the belly twisting. What am I doing wrong?

4 answers to this question

Welcome to the 'ville!

Do you mean that your stitches aren't lining up on top of each other, so the color is drifting to the right?  Or the stitches are physically looking weird? 

If it's the drifting thing, that's what crochet does in the round, because unlike knit stitches, crochet stitches don't sit directly on top of each other.  I know of 2 ways to fix that, well 3 but one makes a 'seam' that would be OK for a garment but not a TRex.

From worst to best solution:

1) The seam version: chain up, turn every row.

2) Work in the back loop only (BLO) of the stitch , not both loops.  See below ugly swatch, made in the round: bottom half with grey line is stitched into both loops, top half with red line is stitched into back loop only.  Pro--stitches line up, con, stitches look a little different and have a ridge.  The ridge and different look might sort of look like scales tho, so might work great with your lizard.

3) I have not had a chance to try this yet, but it combines BLO and a different way of putting your yarn around the hook, 'yarn under'.  http://alltapestrycrochet.com/creating-straight-vertical-lines-with-a-modified-sc/  This is discussed with doing tapestry style colorwork (where you work over the unused color), but it should work with other ways of changing color.  I am not sure if 'yarn under' without BLO also works, you might try that -- report back if you do and let us know! :hook 

Colorwork spiral 2 loop vs back loop.jpg

Edited by Granny Square
forgot swatch pic
  • Like 1

Key you are amazing! :) I Swear!!.

I red that post above and without picture of her work I would NOT know what to advice to that person..??? :(.

And I do know work wit Amigurumi! LOL. But still I could not advice her anything just from her post here.

Krys 

Hi Krys, no, not amazing, just been crocheting a long time and have gotten stuck on the same problems too at one time (in the last century, probably :lol ).  I could be guessing wrong, but when she said the area that was 'twisting' was a different color in a project likely worked in a spiral, I figured the stitch bias in the round was probably the culprit.  I actually only learned of the back loop fixing this problem a couple of years ago, but I don't work in a spiral all that often.

There are other ways around this too; if you look at the bottom part of my swatch, it wouldn't be too unreasonable to shift the color changing point of an animal stripe or tummy 1 stitch to the left maybe every second or third round; a little jagged look might be better than the tummy starting where it should and ending up on his back or wherever.