Struggling with a bernat pattern

acv1987

Question

Hi There - I have been attempting this "RIDGED CROCHET BABY BLANKET" pattern from bernat (https://www.yarnspirations.com/on/demandware.static/-/Sites-master-catalog-spinrite/default/dw648bb050/PDF/BRC0202-013778M.pdf) with the suggested yarn (dappled misty jungle green) for over a year now. I have done it 3 times and still can't get it quite right. It calls for a L hook which is entirely too small for this weave. I've now tried it with a N hook and it is still too tight. Thinking of trying it with a larger hook but am very discouraged since I've done this so many times and also the yarn is now out of stock and I think i would need at least one additional skien to complete in a square shape. Has anyone attempted this pattern or have suggestions? 

3 answers to this question

You said you can't get it "quite right"----In what way is it wrong?  

There's a lot going on in the pattern, with all the post sts and keeping the incs and decs lined up right, I can imagine I'd have difficulty keeping it all on track.  

Ugh, the whole thing is post stitches, so is going to be a massive yarn eater because a good portion of each DC overlaps another stitch.  Otherwise, it's 'just' a typical ripple pattern, which is theoretically simple but in practice a bit of a pain because you have to count your stitches religiously.  I KNOW this and have still messed up the ripples I've made at some point when my mind wandered and I've stopped counting.  :frog rip, rip!

All I can recommend is, if you are afraid of running out of yarn, is to make it in plain DC instead of the post stitches--without the overlap, it will get taller with fewer rows.  And yes stitch markers, and count count count.