Help with a pattern

LZman

Question

I am trying to crochet a baby hat and one part of the pattern. It says front post double crochet in next 2 double stitch. This doesn’t make much sense to me. Help! Please. 

Edited by LZman

1 answer to this question

A post stitch is not made into the top of the stitch in the row below as stitches most commonly are.  It's made 'around the waist' of a stitch in the prior row, or sometimes in a row before that - it makes a raised surface on the front side, typically.

A DC is a tall skinny stitch, which is a "post".  So, "front post double crochet in next DC" means:  Instead of "In the top of" the next DC, YO and stick the hook front to back between the next DC in the row below and the one before it, and then poke the hook across the back of the DC and out to to the front on the other side of that stitch --this pulls the post to the front a little.  Then complete the DC, it's going to end up sitting higher from the fabric than the other stitches. (a back post is the same except poking the hook from back to front, across the front of the dc and completing the stitch - this pushes the DC to the back of the fabric).

Remember that you didn't use the top of the stitch to make the post stitch, so the top is unused.  For most patterns, you need to make sure that you leave them unused, if you use it my mistake you will add to your stitch count.

If my description wasn't clear, there are a lot of youtube videos out there that might help you visualize it.