Mamakat

Need help with a pattern step!

Question

Hello and thank you for your help! I am almost done with a crocheted sweater. I am now starting the sleeves but I’m stuck. I’m trying to decide if I should work the sleeves from the inside or from the outside (right side out). The pattern does not specify. The stitches that create the sleeve have you making your stitch in the back loop only of the row before. So, when doing this is would create a ridge on the underside and a smooth or flat finish on the side you see while building the sleeve.  I’ve zoomed in on a picture of the pattern where the model is wearing the sweater, so it is “right side out.”  It looks like there are ridges on the sleeves of the exposed side. Which would mean I should be creating the sleeve from the inside and then turn it right sound out when done. But I’m doubting myself! Will someone look at this picture and give me your opinion? I’d be so grateful! 

B7FDA1FE-2CB0-4956-861C-EAF56367D7B5.jpeg

3 answers to this question

Posted (edited)

Hi, and welcome to the 'ville!

When you work in the back loop of a stitch in the round, the unused front loop makes a horizontal ridge in the side facing you as you make the stitch.  The photo shows the ridges on the outside, which is the 'right side' if the side that was facing you as you made it is the right side. 

Does that make sense?

Edited by Granny Square

To Granny Square

Thank you for your helpful response! Your answer does make sense but I think I should clarify what is facing me when I crochet the sleeve. I am creating the sleeve in a completed arm whole.  So I tied on my yarn at the bottom seam of the sleeve opening, as the pattern directs. Then began the rows of blo hdc.  What I see is the flat finished side on “right side out” and the ridge is technically facing me but hidden within the growing sleeve. Does that make sense?  So the way I am doing this is wrong. The ridges are on the inside. I need them on the outside. So I think I need to turn the sweater inside out and start the sleeve again. That way, when I’m done I can turn the entire sweater right side out and the ridges will be visible. I hope I have made sense and I thank you for clarifying that the ridges should be on the outside.  I had a feeling I was doing this incorrectly!

Glad you have it sorted how to get the ridges to go on the outside of the sweater!