Help with pattern

Jordo

Question

I am new to crochet and I am doing this pattern: https://www.favecrafts.com/Crochet-Hat-Patterns/Grey-Slouchie-Beanie

In the “Body” section, the 5th step says to repeat step 4 until you finish. Doing this, I’ve noticed I’m gaining one puff stitch per round. For example, I started with 36 puff stitches in my first line of puff stitches (round 2). Then in my second line (round 3), I got 36 puff stitches also. Then in the third line, (first repeat of round 3), I got 37 stitches, probably because I’m not skipping the first stitch like the first line did. Finally, in my fourth line (second repeat of round 4) I’ve got 38 stitches. 

Do you think this is how it is supposed to go? If I continue in this fashion until the hat measures 11”, I will have gained 12 more puff stitches. Or did I misread the pattern/is it a typo?

thanks in advance

Edited by Jordo

2 answers to this question

I agree.

Step 3 (round 2) ends with "36 (38) Puffs and 36 (38) ch-1 sps"--you said you had 36 puffs and I'm assuming 36 chain spaces also at this point, right?  So far so good if you are following this size..

Step 4 (round 3), and rounds beyond, simplified: slst to join, chain 3, make a puff + ch1 in each ch-1 space across to the end of the round.  Repeat this round until it gets to the right length for your size, and do the finish-off part.  You should continue to have 36 puffs in each round because you haven't changed anything.

I re-phrased and simplified it slightly, maybe if you look at it this way it will help?