Help with stitch please

wonderto

Question

Hi All, this is my first post and wondering if someone might be able to help me please. I have attached a photo of a square that a friend of my mine was showing ( a few years ago). I came across it the other day and can't remember how the raised stitch was done. I am a beginner but from what I can remember, the stitch started with a yarn over twice and then it was treble ( or double in USA) intoca post stitch until there were 7 stitches or that could be wrong! I have unravelled the square to try and work out the stitch but worried I will have nothing left! Does anyone know the name of the stitch or have a pattern for the square? I believe she got the pattern from America. Any help greatly appreciated!

20200329_160813.jpg

7 answers to this question

Welcome to the 'ville!  And your question is a stumper.  The 'underpinnings' look like a granny square (but the stitch groups look like 2 Dc, not the usual 3).  ...I wonder if it is a HDC cluster, since they are bumps not a solid-looking column?  Totally guessing...

Just noticed the outer ring's corners are closed, unlike a granny square.

Edited by Granny Square

Thanks for the replies, I have tried the following, yarn around needle and then 3 trebles (doubles in USA) into the front post stitch (on row below) and then pull through the 7 stitches on the needle -unfortunately it just doesn't look like the raised stitch. Thanks for the link to the pattern but although similar, it's not quite the pattern. It is actually my 91 year old Mum who wants the pattern and I said I would try and work it out or track it down! Many thanks for you help so far!

2 hours ago, wonderto said:

Thanks for the replies, I have tried the following, yarn around needle and then 3 trebles (doubles in USA) into the front post stitch (on row below) and then pull through the 7 stitches on the needle -unfortunately it just doesn't look like the raised stitch. Thanks for the link to the pattern but although similar, it's not quite the pattern. It is actually my 91 year old Mum who wants the pattern and I said I would try and work it out or track it down! Many thanks for you help so far!

Do you have a way to contact the friend who made the original?  Maybe they could remember how they did it or where the pattern is from.  

Hi Magiccrochetfan, thanks for you reply. Unfortunately I can't get in touch with the person that showed me originally - they copied a pattern from a cushion cover which came from America. I live in Ireland and haven't seen anything like it. 

if the pattern is from a cushion, we might look at those type patterns on Ravelry (Granny Square posted a link above to one pattern from their listing).  Also if nobody here can find anything, there are forums on ravelry where you could post your photo for help.  

Eta...I went to ravelry and looked at pillows  in square shapes, did not find this.  But it might be listed, just not given the attribute of square.  

Edited by magiccrochetfan