Country store afghan

MTOread

Question

Saw in older crochet magazine. Used two colors. Started with ten chains, cut yarn, return to beginning, sc in first ten increase ten. Can't remember more. Any help?

9 answers to this question

Didn't want to think you were being ignored, that doesn't sound familiar stitch-wise and didn't find anything with different variations of the pattern name.

If you keep the same side facing, start at the same 'end' and  add 10 stitches each time (I'm imagining with a foundation stitch), wouldn't it be (almost) a triangle?  Or am I missing something...

Edited by Granny Square

I had to run off after posting yesterday, but I had another thought--a Jacob's Ladder pattern perhaps?  This one is not worked same side facing and cutting the yarn each row, but this pattern alternates 10 DC and 10 chains across each row, then 'finger knitting' the 'ladder rungs' formed by the chains up the column--it makes a raised braid with the colors offset from their DC rows, for an interesting effect.  It doesn't spell out how many rows of each color, but if you google Jacob's Ladder afghan, you'll see all sorts of stripe variations.  It's also on "Bev's Country Cottage" site, not quite "Country Store" but...

https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/jacobs-ladder-afghan

Both of the patterns I linked have some elements of what you described - the first one had same side facing, the second had 10 stitches repeated - but both worked across rows of the same length, there was no adding of 10 stitches each row, at the same end, like this (the 'sort of triangle' I was imagining).

xxxxxxxxxx

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Edited by Granny Square

What's really throwing me is adding 10 at the end of each row, on 1 side.  My 'illustration' in my last post wasn't very accurate, as the forum double-spaces when you hit the 'enter' button.  It would really look more like the below graphic, with the rows much tighter together, and doesn't look much like it's going to look like a blanket--more like an asymmetrical shawl/stole, long and shallow.

If you started with 1 or 2 SCs, and added 1 on each side for a corner-to-corner, that would make sense.  Like this dishcloth, but many more rows before working the sides even.

increase 10.jpg

I checked around on this pattern title and all answers said they'd never heard of it before, including several seasoned crocheters. A photo sure would help if possible.

Sorry, I just can't remember. It is niether of those two either. If I was more computer savvy I could draw it. If my brain had fewer holes, I might remember. Thanks for trying