Sign in to follow this  
Vilma

Don’t understand the pattern

Question

I hope someone can help me, I am trying to follow a pattern for Lenny the Bunny which I believe is an American pattern, so I translated the stitches into UK terms, but I am not sure what the following means:  Cast on 20 stitches + 1 for turning ( I get that bit) Work 1 row sc (dc), close to round - I assume this is to make a circle - if so, why the extra stitch for turning?  Or am I completely on the wrong thread?  Thank you in advance.

4 answers to this question

A "turning" chain is made to get a row or round started.  Its purpose is to provide height.  Beginning a round with this extra chain doesn't mean you have to "turn the work" at  the end of the round, although you might.  

You typed "close to round", but I assume it should be "close the round", is that correct?  

Hi,  no it says “close to round”, which is a bit odd.  Anyway, I got too frustrated with reading the pattern on my phone, so I got the IPad out and noticed that the first row before becoming a round is a row of DC, so my mistake.  I have got it started.  Thank you for the help.👍

Posted (edited)

Might be a translation hiccup if it's the above pattern, looks like it was in a German publication by its title and the publication's website domain is .de (Deutchland).  Agree it's most probably 'the' not 'to'.

Edited by Granny Square