Looking for patterns/ideas for Lion Brand Mandala Ombre

CrochetHeather

Hi everyone. New to this site. Would love some help/links to patterns of any kind that I can make out of Lion Brand Mandala Ombré. I have 11 cakes of the “Balance” colorway that I got on clearance not too long ago at Walmart. I want to make something a bit more contemporary/modern that doesn’t look like colored Easter eggs or something an old lady made on the 1970s, if you get what I’m saying. I’ve tried to make an Afghan using various stitches but it’s just not making me excited. There are very few patterns for this yarn online/Pinterest/Lion Brand site. I’m hoping some of y’all could help. Much appreciated!!!

F745A324-240D-467C-914A-160AE2004E81.jpeg

Hmph. I crocheted all through the 70's and none of my projects looked "like what an old lady made" and now that I am an old lady, they still don't look old fashioned.  At least, that's what I'm told.

Anyway, how about the Mandala Afghan by Lion Brand? Colorful and easy enough to follow the pattern.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, ReniC said:

Hmph. I crocheted all through the 70's and none of my projects looked "like what an old lady made" and now that I am an old lady, they still don't look old fashioned.  At least, that's what I'm told.

😁:hook:wgrin   LOVE this!  nothing I'll see online today will make me smile more than your post!   Yes, yes, yes!!!! 

(Emoji with hat and scarf because it is snowing here today)

6 minutes ago, magiccrochetfan said:

😁:hook:wgrin   LOVE this!  nothing I'll see online today will make me smile more than your post!   Yes, yes, yes!!!! 

(Emoji with hat and scarf because it is snowing here today)

Thanks magiccrochetfan. I'm glad I made you smile. That was the intent. Not too bad here. Lots of off and on rain. Unusual for March here. In the 60's during the day. But, OMgoodness have we had some crazy wind on the dry days. Yikes! Stay well and keep smiling. 😉

• Like 1

Heather, in all seriousness, I think what you're struggling with is the colors themselves, which do look pretty Easter eggy to me....even the green is like the faux grass put into baskets.  My first thought to diminish that effect is to add a lot of white.  Looked at projects on ravelry and most did look eastery and or dated to me.  One standout though was a project of the pattern https://www.etsy.com/listing/743935317/arabella-crochet-afghan-pattern   Which, bingo, used white for the background.  If you don't want to get that ornate you could maybe do simpler squares of the Balance alternating with white squares, or do stripes of both colors in a ripple or corner to corner.  

If you don't add another color I can't envision it not looking pretty Easter pastelish and likely looking dated.  

Edited by magiccrochetfan

Heh, read my profile on why I chose 'Granny Square' as my forum name...everything old is new again, then it was Granny Squares and now it's Mandalas...speaking of squares or other center-out work, I agree a center-out pattern like that Mandala is the way to go because long colorways are more interesting that way than 'back and forth'.  I usually avoid variegated yarn, but that combo of yarn and pattern is pretty. 

Another thought is pairing it with a solid that matches 1 of the colors, and make a striped blanket, I've seen that work with regular variegated yarn--just as I typed that I see Magiccrochetfan has suggested something similar.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, magiccrochetfan said:

Heather, in all seriousness, I think what you're struggling with is the colors themselves, which do look pretty Easter eggy to me....even the green is like the faux grass put into baskets.  My first thought to diminish that effect is to add a lot of white.  Looked at projects on ravelry and most did look eastery and or dated to me.  One standout though was a project of the pattern https://www.etsy.com/listing/743935317/arabella-crochet-afghan-pattern   Which, bingo, used white for the background.  If you don't want to get that ornate you could maybe do simpler squares of the Balance alternating with white squares, or do stripes of both colors in a ripple or corner to corner.  

If you don't add another color I can't envision it not looking pretty Easter pastelish and likely looking dated.  

I like what you are saying. I have made afghans with a white accent (pictured) and they look awesome.

This particular Mandala Ombré yarn has kind of a stonewashed look to it so I wonder if a graphite gray might look good. Either a stonewashed gray or just a regular gray. I Love This Yarn from Hobby Lobby has a graphite color that might look okay. Not too dark and not too light gray. 

image.jpg

2 hours ago, ReniC said:

Anyway, how about the Mandala Afghan by Lion Brand? Colorful and easy enough to follow the pattern.

Hey don’t take offense - didn’t mean it that way. I just should’ve said “dated.” But I do remember as a kid that some of the old ladies from my church made some really ugly crochet items. That was in the 70s. I’m sure the handiwork was impeccable but some of the color ways that were popular back in the day were fairly ugly. Sorry.

No need to apologize. We have a lot of fun on this forum. 

I do have to say, some of the color schemes back in the day were quite outrageous and definitely ugly. Take those patterns now and spruce them up in some of the colors used now a Boom!- gorgeous. Good lick on your decision and keep us posted. We love seeing others work on here.

If I'd been sipping coffee when I scrolled to your post Ratdog, it would be all over the keyboard now :lol   I'm sure the models were also wondering, "what were they (the people that hired them) thinking!!" (even then)

Made me wonder, what is "today's" color scheme?  1950s was pink and grey (my first apartment, in 1970, had pink and grey linoleum and counter tops and pink cabinets), 1960s was Harvest Gold and Avacado, 1970s was earth tones, 1980s sort of visited the 1950s but with blue and pink....

Edited by Granny Square