Blanket

Pipdsqueak

Question

11 answers to this question

1 minute ago, Tampa Doll said:

Is this the yarn the pattern calls for?  I don't usually work with something that thick.

Hopefully some of our experts will come in and help.

Hi Mary Jo, did you mean to post a link?  

Can you give a bit more detail on 'wavy'?  Or better yet, post a picture?  Link to the yarn

I am going to guess, with the extreme texture it has, it might be hard to see the stitches.  Are you losing or gaining stitches at the sides?  I generally prefer smooth/more defined yarns, and I would probably put a stitch marker on the first and last stitch of the rows to make sure I didn't miss them in all the furriness. 

I notice it calls for an "I" hook, which seems a little small for bulky; if the waviness is more that it won't lie flat, maybe it needs a bigger hook (I usually grab my "I" for worsted weight if I'm not needing to hit a specific gauge).

I see that others posted before I got a chance to push the post button - I was looking for patterns on the yarn's website that used this yarn, but didn't find one, but patterns that called for another super bulky baby yarn called for an N hook, considerably bigger.  In the comments section it was mentioned a couple of times that it was hard to see the stitches, as I expected which is why I mentioned stitch markers might be helpful.

Edited by Granny Square

I made a baby blanket with Pipsqueak yarn and it called for a K hook. I did not have a problem with it being wavy. As Granny Square mentioned, maybe your hook is too small. Just guessing here. Maybe this will help for yarn/hook reference: Pipsqueak patterns link.

19 minutes ago, ReniC said:

I made a baby blanket with Pipsqueak yarn and it called for a K hook. I did not have a problem with it being wavy. As Granny Square mentioned, maybe your hook is too small. Just guessing here. Maybe this will help for yarn/hook reference: Pipsqueak patterns link.

I'm not using a pattern I was never taught how to read them or any other stitches except for double crochet. I've never used a pattern. Isn't there just a simple way of using this yarn with just a double crochet. I've been ripping it out a whole lot and start over.

18 minutes ago, Pipdsqueak said:

I'm not using a pattern I was never taught how to read them or any other stitches except for double crochet. I've never used a pattern. Isn't there just a simple way of using this yarn with just a double crochet. I've been ripping it out a whole lot and start over.

Sure, you can make a fine blanket by just using dc.  When I posted, I started to say "or if you're not using a pattern, tell us what stitch(es) you're using".  

We need more info though, so post a clear photo of it or if that's not possible, tell us more...how exactly is it wavy?  

Of course! but we are guessing at what you mean by 'wavy'.  Are you accidentally adding or subtracting stitches at the edges because the yarn is fuzzy and it's hard to see the stitches, so the edges are wavy?  Are you using a too-small hook so the blanket is puckery-wavy?  Or something else I'm failing to imagine?  We're asking questions because we are happy to help as you can see, we just need a bit more info to BE helpful.

I only brought up patterns as a double-check because I wasn't familiar with the yarn so I looked it up, and it struck me that the recommended hook seemed really small for super bulky yarn.  K or bigger seems more reasonable than I for that weight.

Oops, didn't see you pop up there, Magic!

Edited by Granny Square