The Invisible "Pull"

Libits2

Question

Hi all!  Hope this finds everyone healthy and well!  I’m now working off my 4th ball/skein of Puzzle Premiere yarn which has a lot of yarn.  I don’t mind the yarn and it comes in great color combos but I really dislike how the yarn “pulls.”  I’ve looked several times to see if I can pull the yarn internally instead of having this big ball of yarn rotating and flipping all over the place by having to pull it from the outside of the skein.  Does anyone know if that’s an option for this brand of yarn?

5 answers to this question

I tend to hand-roll my skeins of yarn, even the 'pounders' which end up almost soccer ball size, because I don't like the 'collapse' mess if you center-pull, and I'd rather have it roll around a bit than flop around, but that's me; I also figure the winding motion gives me a bit of aerobic exercise :lol   If you've never rolled a ball before, make sure you don't pull tight, you want a squishy ball not a solid one you could really play soccer with.  

12 minutes ago, Granny Square said:

I tend to hand-roll my skeins of yarn, even the 'pounders' which end up almost soccer ball size, because I don't like the 'collapse' mess if you center-pull, and I'd rather have it roll around a bit than flop around, but that's me; I also figure the winding motion gives me a bit of aerobic exercise :lol   If you've never rolled a ball before, make sure you don't pull tight, you want a squishy ball not a solid one you could really play soccer with.  

But can the "pounders" get pulled from the center interior?  I don't mind the collapse.  Right now, the dog is irritated at how often it hits her in the head when it's flying around.

Aww, pet your pup on the head for me.  My kitty used to 'help' me by giving the yarn a taste test every so often I'd have a damp section of yarn run thru my fingers...

Maybe it depends on the brand?  I have done that in the past, with probably Red Heart Super Saver or a Caron Pounder ages ago, but I pretty much always wind skeins into balls nowadays.  

Although I don't use it for this purpose, I have a project bag that stands up by itself that I could put the yarn in and let it roll around in the bag, instead of beside me on the sofa.  Maybe something like a box or big mixing bowl on the floor, or beside you to let the yarn flop around in, to save your dog's head?  

Another way to keep a ball from rolling around is put it in a lined basket, a large mixing bowl or even a colander/strainer you might not use much. If you do not have any of these items, they can be purchased at thrift stores or yard sales for reasonable prices. If the rolled up ball will fit, I just use a 3 pound coffee can! LOL. Here's one of the baskets I use and the bowl is just an example.

basket.jpg

bowl.jpg

Edited by ReniC

Libits2,

I also like to center pull from the skein also, especially if my dog is on my lap. My yarn stays clean. If you don't mind a little bit of a mess this is what I do. I take the Skein of yarn and squish it longs ways between my hands. This helps to loosen up the center. Then starting at one end reach in with your thumb and 2 fingers and search for what feel like a semi firm center. (You may have to try the other end) . When you think you have if grab and pull!  It gets easier the more you do it. I've been doing this for over 30 yrs. LOL

Word of Warning:  Try to keep that center real loose so that it doesn't form a tight mess. If that happens DON'T try to untangle it by weave it over and under. You will get such a mess! Try to remember that it got tangle without doing that.  I pick it up in 2 fingers like you would if it was sticky or gross and gently shake it loose and it'll work out.