Ripple

gemlovesjasper

Question

When I do the SC Ripple 11 + 2,  I chain 220. Then add 2 at the end. I have done the gauge for it & it turns out pretty good. Everything lines up from  2nd row on up. When I increase the size of the blanket, I count in 20's till I get to 220. Then add 2. I have used stitch markers for every 20th stitch. I have been attempting the Ripple stitch like this  for years and as soon as I increase the afghan size(carefully counting in 20's)the increases and decreases dont line up or "stack up". How can this be? If the gauge is right, then I feel like I know what I am doing. Yet, the evidence is obvious. Something is screwy. Maybe its me. I have been trying so long and so hard. Could be I popped a screw in my brain. Its loose now.

1 answer to this question

Well this isn't an accurate answer for the specific pattern you have in mind, but will get you to the desired end with only a teeny bit of extra work.

There are dozens of ripple pattern variations out there, so when you say 'the' SC ripple that doesn't help much.

So a ripple is a 2 hill sides, a valley, and a hill top.  The # of stitches on each side of the hill match each other, and the # of stitches increased at the hill top match the # of stitches reduced in the valley.  Example: 11 stitches for 1 hillside, make 3 stitches into 1 for the hilltop (increases by 2 stitches), 11 stitches for the other hillside, combine 3 stitches into 1 (decreases by 2 stitches).  

What I would do is take the # of stitches in 2 hillsides* (11 in my example, x 2, is 22 for 1 complete hill), and, if you think 10 repeats is the width you want, chain 220 and maybe another 10.  Turn, work back, and you will end up with a little bit of chain left--that's OK.  Turn, work back to the beginning, and finish your blanket.  Later, you can pick those extra chains out, (don't worry, it won't unravel from this end) and weave in the yarn tail.

* I'm guessing you want the ends to match, like /\/\/\  or \/\/\/  not /\/\/\/ .