Red Dog

RED DOG

Question

The pattern says Ch 3, med shell in first shell, ch 4,(sc in next ch-4 space, ch4) across to last shell, med shell in last shell, turn.   Do I ch4, sc in next ch-4 sp and skip the next ch 4 sp and go right to the last shell.  

4 answers to this question

"Ch 3, med shell in first shell, ch 4, * (sc in next ch-4 space, ch4) across to last shell, med shell in last shell, turn"

I am going to guess there is a missing asterisk where I inserted one above, because that would make a repeating pattern across.  Also, I think that is the case because of the wording--if they meant to skip a bunch of stitches 'and  go right to the last shell', (which would make a big hole!) a well written pattern would have spelled out exactly what to skip. 

Another subtle clue is the parenthesis, which means ("do all the stuff written here in 1 stitch"), and then the word across.  So "(do this) across, repeating until you get to last shell" (where something else happens to end the row) is how I'm reading it.

One way to interpret a confusing line in a crochet pattern, if there is a clear photo of the finished item, is figure out where (on the photo) you are currently working, and see if your interpretation matches the stitches that you can see on the photo. 

18 hours ago, RED DOG said:

The pattern says Ch 3, med shell in first shell, ch 4,(sc in next ch-4 space, ch4) across to last shell, med shell in last shell, turn.   Do I ch4, sc in next ch-4 sp and skip the next ch 4 sp and go right to the last shell.  

Thanks again for all your help.