Wedding cape/shawl with ribbon

Eclectic

Question

Hi,

I have never used crochet forums before and I hope my question isn't breaking any rules. I am looking for a free pattern for a wedding cape that ties in the front with a ribbon. Similar to what is sold here:

https://www.weddingsbylaremi.com/

If you don't know of any available patterns, could you help me figure out what the stitch used called? and does anyone know how to weave in the ribbon? It's for my daughter. I am a beginner/intermediate crocheter and I think if I have a pattern I can manage, but I cannot create one myself. I love how the sides are neatly scrunched in a half circle and 

9 answers to this question

10 hours ago, magiccrochetfan said:

This etsy has a few gathered stoles https://www.etsy.com/shop/BarbsDaughterDesigns?section_id=19539579

i would guess that shape s a rectangle.  

Thank you so much for looking. I am hoping to make it for my daughter myself so I was looking to figure out that stitch as I think if no one knows what it is and how to do the ribbon in that semi circle edging then I might just buy this pattern and go from there. It is very reasonably priced compared to what else is out there.

I think if you take a rectangle and hem the short edges to make a tunnel for a ribbon to go thru, you will get a semicircle gathered effect.  The rectangle will have to be just the right length to fit on the shoulders a bit snugly.  You could make a doll sized one to see if it works.  

As for the stitch pattern, I don't know what it is.  You can find tons of pretty ones in a stitch dictionary, maybe check out a book from your local library.  

I agree that it is probably a gathered rectangle where the short sides are in front.

I am sure Reni C. had a question on a very similar stitch pattern for a shawl or shrug within the last year, I'll try to find the post where that was discussed and post a link.

Meanwhile, often when you want to weave a ribbon into something like this, you'd typically make an edge something like DC 2, chain 2 skip 2, repeat (the numbers can vary a bit).  Then you'd weave the ribbon in and out of the holes formed by the chains and skipped stitches.  The look and tightness of the gather will depend on the number of DCs between chain spaces, the fewer DCs, the tighter the possible gather, because fewer stitches are 'in the way'.  Hemming solid stitches over to make a tunnel will work too, but there will be more stitches 'in the way' so it will be a looser gather.

I figured the stitch out to be the Crystal Wave stitch with a bulky yarn (5 or 6 weight yarn).

Edited by ReniC
  • Like 1