Crocheting T shirt material into round rug

Miffy3936

Question

5 answers to this question

@Miffy.  I would like this info as well.  I want to make a rug but don't have a clue where to start.  Oh, it just occurred to me - maybe I'll go to ravelry and see what they have there if there's no answers here.  Thanx.  

I just erased the start of a 'how to make a generic circle recipe' since I just saw that BGS found a pattern for a round rug.  Really, the recipe is the same if you were making a 3" round coaster with doily thread or a 12' round rug.  Once you see the pattern of the increases evolving and you can just keep adding rounds in the established pattern (adding 1 stitch between increases).  You probably want to stagger the increases a bit so it doesn't end up a hexagon.

Normally I wouldn't say "look at the yarn label and use the hook they suggest", but it's not bad advice for something that doesn't have to 'fit', like a rug.  On the other hand, your stitch tension might be radically different than the designer of the above pattern, or whoever decides what to put on the yarn label , so you might have to use a different hook than the pattern calls for to get the look you want.

Here are the standard "ranges' for hooks/needles to use for different US yarn weights (on the 6th row) https://www.craftyarncouncil.com/standards/yarn-weight-system

I have made several things using t-shirt yarn. I make my own yarn but here is the link to my t-shirt yarn patterns. There are a few rugs there and also a granny pattern that you could use for a rug too. Best wishes and let me know if you have any questions as I'd be happy to help further.

@Cindy.  I love your site with that wide variety of projects to crochet.  I particularly like the Christmas card ornaments.  What a neat idea.  It is kind of you to give us these patterns at no charge.