Help with first crochet project- amigurumi

leung8chico

Question

Hello! This is my first crochet project ever. I have always done knitting instead. Recently, I got a Harry Potter amigurumi crochet kit (instructions and yarn included) as a gift. I learned the basics like chaining and single crochet from youtube videos. I have been practicing with spare yarn at home. I have been making progress with my "Harry Potter doll" from Rnd 1 to Rnd 13. At Rnd 14, I have encountered 2 problems that have stumped my project.

Before proceeding with Rnd 14, I'm suppose to change yarn color from pale peach to medium gray. However I find the instructions on changing yarn color in the instructions book very confusing. I have changed yarn color in knitting using the magic knot. And I have found other resources on the subject. But none of them seem to refer to the same technique in the instruction book. Could someone help me with instructions on changing colors?

My second problem is that in Rnd 14, it says to "single crochet until I get to the marked stitch. Change to white yarn and work 3 single crochet starting in marked stitch. Change to medium gray yarn and single crochet in each stitch to the end of the round". I am confused by this instruction and what it actually means. I think it means to change color to white, and do 3 single crochet into the one marked stitch, and just single crochet to the end. But I end up with 15 stitches instead of 12 stitches like the pattern says. Could someone please help me figure out this confusing instructions? I appreciate the help! Thank you!

88052718_599175184018175_8414486432088850432_n.jpg

87518068_2515234918698784_3106341157030854656_n.jpg

4 answers to this question

Welcome to the 'ville, and to crochet!

I knit a bit, but mostly crochet.  And I never (or very rarely) knot in either, I weave in the ends, but that's another story.  In any event, I don't suggest making a knot at the moment you change color. 

A simpler way to say what the directions are telling you is, work the last old color stitch up to the point where you would yo and pull the last loop thru to finish it, but grab the new color to yo and pull thru instead.  The reason for this is, there is a 'skew' to crochet stitches in the round that doesn't happen in knitting, so it makes a cleaner looking transition.  Save the knot for after few stitches, or even after the next row--for a toy, knots contained inside are less likely to come undone than in other situations, and you can snug up the join to keep the same tension as the rest of the piece. 

If that description doesn't make sense, here's a video

• Thanks 1

To change color you start your last stitch, so you have 2 loops on your hook.  The loop the new color and pull it thru the two loops on hook.  You have finished with peach and are moving on with the next color.  To anchor it, crochet the new color for about 2 stitches around the peach, then cut the peach.  You will not hot have to worry about the peach unraveling and the new color will also be anchored.

Once you finish round 13, stop and find the stitch that is in the middle of the row.  Mark this stitch. You will crochet until you get to that stitch, do the color change for 3 stitches, then go back to your original color.  This will be the front of your ami.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1