3tr into same ch

Jess2719

Question

1 answer to this question

Hi and welcome to the 'ville, and to crochet!

You can cram a LOT of stitches into 1 stitch.  I've made a shell stitch that had 15 stitches into 1, that was a bit of a stretch but not impossible.  I may have put even more when starting a circle, come to think of it.

There are 3 ways to work into a chain, I'm going to recommend the one I'm partial to because (1) it works in every situation and does not pull the fabric tight as one of the other methods does (2) it's the way the earliest crochet books (mid 1800's) tell you to do it, and those ladies produced some awesome designs.

My favorite method --With the chain side facing you, insert the hook in the top loop of the chain.

"Ch4, 2tr into 4th chain from hook, (ch2, 3tr into same chain)" For this instruction, it is telling you to put 5 stitches into the first chain you made.  It's going to look like this, except the stitches will form sort of a fan shape |||°°||   I'll get to that red stitch in a minute.  Oh, and read the diagram right to left, they way you'd be stitching it.

I am guessing that you are working from a pattern that is in UK terms.  Confusingly, the US and UK started out using the same (UK) terms, but after WW1 we silly Yanks decided to change the meaning same words to mean DIFFERENT stitches.  In both schemes, chain and slip stitch mean the same thing, but UK DC is US SC, UK Treble is US Double, and so on - UK doesn't use Single Crochet, it promotes all of the US terms 1 'level'. 

The reason for my guess is that the turning chain for a US DC / UK Treble is 3, so the normal way to start a row of straight US DC/UK Trebles is to chain x and put the first stitch into the 4th ch from the hook.  For US DC and UK Treble, the 3 unused chains are called the 'turning chain', or function as a way to get your yarn up to the height of the next row or round if you aren't turning.  It normally counts as a stitch - and that's the unused chains that I marked in red above.

Also in my little diagram |||°°|||, note that the chains are sort of floating up there--chains don't go into another stitch, they float between and above other stitches.