Oma Marlene

Oma Marlene

Question

Thank you for your responses to my first question! I nay have found part of what I’m looking for...an Afghan my Aunt made decades ago. I believe it was a kit but I do not have the instructions...& she passed away 10 years ago. Does anyone recognize this or perhaps have the directions? I’d be more than happy to purchase. Thanks again!   :) Here’s the original query: Am stumped on a stitch...a small lap Afghan crocheted by my son-in-law’s Norwegian Grandma. Have asked several ‘experts’ in my area but no results. Pics show front & back. Help! Thanks...

1389503B-F193-43DC-B911-9509CFFF46A3.jpeg

5C4F158C-E9E0-4D6C-A651-ED4EF143CA5F.jpeg

B876D58C-9922-4C81-BF15-AC647C028F4F.jpeg

Edited by Oma Marlene
New information found

11 answers to this question

I think it is single crochet in the back loop only.  The top pic is upside down to the way it was worked.  Will try to find a tutorial on this stitch and will post if I do find one.  

Also looks like it was all worked in one direction, I think.  Can you tell if that is the case?  There might be fringes left along the edges from where she cut the yarn at the end of each row, or you might see where she fastened off the yarn at ends of row.  

Edited by magiccrochetfan

SC BLO is ribbing when worked back and forth (turning), and looks the same on both sides. This is a blanket and not in the round, so...I don't think so.  But I don't know what it IS, either, sorry--interesting stitch.  I wonder if it's alternating rows of 'something' and slip stitch...slip stitch looks like sideways knitting, as this sort of does.

18 minutes ago, Granny Square said:

SC BLO is ribbing when worked back and forth (turning), and looks the same on both sides. This is a blanket and not in the round, so...I don't think so.  But I don't know what it IS, either, sorry--interesting stitch.  I wonder if it's alternating rows of 'something' and slip stitch...slip stitch looks like sideways knitting, as this sort of does.

Hi Granny Square :waving   I was waiting with interest to see your thoughts on this one.  I did realize after I initially posted, that this isn't scblo in regular turned rows.  Edited my first post re that, but it should have dawned on me quicker than it did lol. 

I see what you mean about sl st, but to me the way the colors line up doesn't look like that.  

Whatever it is, it's a pretty stitch!  

I tried alternating sc BLO and slst BLO, and got an interesting ribbing but not not matching the above example.

http://new.slipstitchcrochet.com/   This site has some slip-stitch-only stitch patterns that they show how to do with sketches, some by manipulating the hook in a different way (inverse front or back loop), but unfortunately they don't have photo examples of all the slip stitch patterns.

It can't be all front or back loops, because the loops are all on 1 side.  Maybe it's alternating front and back loops?

I bet it's in one of those 19th century books by Beaton, Dilmont, or Branchardière...

The other day when we were talking about this, i started a swatch of what I *think* it is.  Put the swatch aside and just picked it back up.  I worked what I see in Marlene's original question (the pics using the variegated green, white, and yellow yarn).  That is single crochet in back loops only, worked in rows where the yarn is cut at the end of each row and all rows are worked in the same direction.   I think the original was worked at a pretty large gauge, or has gotten a little stretched over time due to being loved and used, so I used a pretty big hook---yarn is RHSS and hook is a K.  

First pic is the piece shown as I worked it, "right" side facing.  Second pic is the back.  third is the right side, upside down to the direction in which it was worked, which I believe is the same as Marlene's first pic.  

So anyhow, this is what i see in your initial post, Marlene, and it is quite easy to make.

IMG_1456.JPG

IMG_1457.JPG

IMG_1458.JPG

On 2/9/2020 at 11:39 AM, Oma Marlene said:

Thank you for your responses to my first question! I nay have found part of what I’m looking for...an Afghan my Aunt made decades ago. I believe it was a kit but I do not have the instructions...& she passed away 10 years ago. Does anyone recognize this or perhaps have the directions? I’d be more than happy to purchase. Thanks again!

Marlene, can you tell us how the brown afghan is an answer to your initial question about the green/yellow/white afghan?

Ooooohhhhh, that makes sense Magiccrochetfan.  I guess I've never seen it that close up before.

OmaMarlene, this is a technique that I've only seen in patterns for so-called "Navajo" pattern blankets, and your brown and white blanket has that Native American sort of look.  It is a way to keep the stitches lined up and cleaner looking for the colorwork patterns.  If you work colorwork the 'usual' way in SC, the edges are more jaggedy looking.

Apparently this was a kit, no longer available, from Herrschners'.  Here is a link from Ravelry (the link on that page is 'dead', but it tells you what the pattern name was, apparently in a book.  I found this by accident looking for a similar free pattern for you to take a look at, here is the one I was thinking of .  It has raised stitches which yours doesn't, but it has the one-way stitching and the fringe like Magiccrochetfan's swatch.

Hi GrannySquare!   I like your term one way stitching.  Good catch on that herrschners pattern.  Weirdly it is still on their site via a different link https://www.herrschners.com/product/navajo+afghan+download+paid+download.do?sortby=newArrivals&refType=&from=Search    Says it is two part Tunisian, whatever that means, and the designs are cross stitched.  

Marlene, Theres a company called Shady Lane that has a lot of patterns worked like your green example with designs like the brown example and the red heart pattern GrannySquare linked, so you might look online for them, I think they are still in business.  

Apologies for my poor punctuation tonight.  

Edited by magiccrochetfan
Spelling

Yay for finding the right link (for the first blanket), I just figured it had been retired and didn't look further.  

Now...turn the Norwegian grandma's sideways...it looks a LOT like Tunisian Simple Stitch, BUT the back side doesn't look right.  :sigh It could be Tunisian-something-else tho, I'm not an expert.  

Edited by Granny Square