Tunisian crochet length of connecting cord

Senior crocheter

Question

4 answers to this question

Welcome to the 'ville!

I crochet a lot (and for decades), knit a little, and do Tunisian way less.  I know you can cram a LOT of knit stitches onto circular needles, which are corded--like the Tunisian hooks, except a needle on each end, not a stopper on 1.  As in, if you are making an adult pullover you can use a cord considerably shorter than the chest measurement, and the fabric can be all scrunched up on the cord. 

Try this - it  will answer your question without spending any $.  The first pass of a Tunisian is the same as a knit stitch as far as the amount of yarn on the hook for the forward pass.  And you only need the cord on the forward pass, since you take them off the cord on the second pass.  Make a swatch of a forward pass on a regular hook, as many stitches as you can get on there.  Thread a tapestry needle with another piece of yarn and carefully transfer the stitches from the hook to the yarn with the needle.  Scrunch up the stitches on the piece of yarn, so they are touching side to side, and measure the stitches.  Let's say you got 10 stitches into 1.5", so each stitch is 0.15" wide.  Your project is 102 stitches, times a made up number of 0.15" per stitch...is only 15.3 inches.  I know the cords are available much longer than that...literally just a few seconds on Amazon I found sets of 12 sizes with 48" cords.  They were in the neighborhood of 13-15 dollars for the set, some had bamboo hooks and some plastic hooks...looking at Joannes, I'm not finding much (1 corded hook in 1 size??) but it had a 32" cord, which will be plenty even if your stitches are 2x bigger than my made-up example (and that 1 hook was $5.49).

It's funny that when you look at the results of a search on Amazon, then search on the same thing later , different stuff comes up, or different prices on the same stuff.  You're right tho, a lot don't say how long the cords are..

Bamboo set with 48" cord

Another 48" cord

100 cm cord  a foot is about 30.5 cm, so this is slightly more than a yard.  This comes in a pretty silk pouch

1.2 meter cord  slightly less than 48"

I can't vouch for any of these brands, but I did buy a set of  off-brand (Stitchberry) bamboo double pointed needles from Amazon a few years ago, it came to about $0.27 per needle.  Some of them were really teeny tiny (thin)--they've all held up well, some have gotten warped by the way I hold them but that doesn't matter for holding stitches , just makes them more ergonomic I guess :lol