Stitches that go well with bulky variegated yarn

Kayla Jackson

Question

Making a blanket for my grandma and I’m using Bernat Blanket Brights in “Red, White, and Boom” with solid red for the border. (Her favorite colors are red and cobalt blue.)

My question is, what’s a good stitch to use with the variegated yarn? I don’t want to use just a basic stitch, because she crochets herself and can do all of those. (She asked me to make it because she can’t read patterns and can only do straight lines, plus she saw a couple that I made for myself and loved them.)

So, what’s a stitch that works well with big variegated yarn but is more than just the basic ones? (Single, double, etc.)

7 answers to this question

Really, any complex stitch pattern is going to 'get lost' with variegated yarns  The simpler-looking the stitch, the better, which I know is not what you wanted to hear.  

Here is a pattern designed for that yarn, it's a simple combo of DC and chains.  Another stitch pattern that I've used with variagated yarns is one that has a bunch of names, it's also simple (just scs and chains) but it has a nice texture.

29 minutes ago, Granny Square said:

Really, any complex stitch pattern is going to 'get lost' with variegated yarns  The simpler-looking the stitch, the better, which I know is not what you wanted to hear.  

Here is a pattern designed for that yarn, it's a simple combo of DC and chains.  Another stitch pattern that I've used with variagated yarns is one that has a bunch of names, it's also simple (just scs and chains) but it has a nice texture.

That’s exactly what I was looking for- something fairly simple so it wouldn’t be lost in all the colors, but more than just the basics. The second one looks great! Thanks!

Granny Square is wright about any "fancy" stitches getting "lost". Not only that but Bernat Blanket Yarn  it is a Velvet yarn & is very thick #6. Bernat have few free patterns for that yarn. As far as I know only hdc & dc stitch was used on all of them that I seen.

I do have some experience with that yarn, I used over 50 balls of that in the past couple years (Yes 50). I made 3 baby blankets and the rest were pet blankets/pads for donations (I think it was over 40 of them). All of them were made with hdc stitch. I am not sure what stitch I used for baby blankets, all I know it was nothing fancy. I will post for you couple pictures here, so maybe you will get an idea how that looks. Pet blankets were crochet little tighter (smaller hook) 

I would always combine 2 different colors  in those Pet blankets. I find out from my daughter her Pets like that better LOL

Those white little dogs I got from my friend.

Krys

DSC00421.JPG

DSC01436.JPG