Help counting stitches

Saba

Question

Rnds 13-14: Ch 4 (counts as first dc plus ch 1), sk next 
dc, *dc in next dc, ch 1, sk next dc; rep from * around, 
sl st into 3rd ch of beg ch-4 – 90 dc + 90 ch-1 sps.
Rnd 15: Ch 3, dc in next ch-1 sp, *dc in next dc, dc in 
next ch-1 sp; rep from * around, working 2 dc in every 
4th sp, sl st into top of beg ch-3 – 210 dc.

I am so stuck on Rnd 15. I am not getting 210 dc at end of round. I definitely have 90 dc + 90 ch-1 sps from previous round.

I think the problem is where to start putting the 2dc in every 4th space and my spacing. I don't think the pattern is very clear and should have been written with more steps.

I have tried in the 4th stitch from start and the 6th stitch from start I do not get 210 dcs!

Is every 4 space mean 1 2 3 4(2dc here) 1 2 3 4 (2dc here) leaving a gap of 3 which actually looks like every 5th if you start counting from where and including the first 2dc is but every 4th if you don't include the first 2dc

Or

1 2 3 4(2dc here) then counting the space 4 as space 1 and then 2 3 4 (2dc) here leaving a gap of 2 which actually looks like every 4th if you start counting from where and including the first 2dc is but every 3rd if you don't include the first 2 dc

I am so confused and have even tried drawing it out and doing the math.

90 ÷ 4 = 22 r 2

What happens to the 2 left over?

I think they must join to the 2 spaces at the beginning to make 4 but where do I put the 2dc?

90 + 90 + 22 + 2 = 204!

Rnd 16: Rep Rnd 13 - 105 dc + 105 ch-1 spa.

105 is half of 210 so the pattern must be right but just not written very well or I'm getting my wires crossed.

Help!!!!

Edited by Saba

15 answers to this question

Round 14 = 90 dc + 90 ch-1 sps, which is 180 stitches.

Round 15 = 210 DC stitches.  So a gain of 30 stitches from the prior round.  180 divided by 30 is 6.  So logically you would add 1 stitch to each 6th stitch, which would be every third, not fourth, chain space...right?  DC-ch-DC-ch-DC-ch , the red (sixth) stitch gets an increase, so I think the pattern is in error.

Hmm.  Do you think there is an aesthetic reason it might look better/be easier to hide an increase in a space, versus sometimes in a DC, and sometimes in a space?

Sometimes increases are weird, in that the math just does not come out even, like you need to increase every 3.75 sts or whatever, so you end up with some mix of mostly skipping 4 but throw a skip 3 in every so often.  I just try to evenly space things as close as I can, but with an eye to it not being obvious.

In your pattern, the last increases were into chain spaces, and it just happened to work out even.  It was right to look at the total of DC and chain stitches to figure out how many more stitches you will be adding overall, and work them into chain spaces as the pattern said to keep the look as close as possible to the intended design.  But if that math on the didn't come out quite even, I'd have recommended for example every 3rd chain space except x instances you skip 4 or 2 evenly spaced across the piece (in other words don't bunch the odd numbers at 1 end).  I hope that makes sense.

Just to keep the trend going, since the last increases were made into a chain space and and are supposed to be made into chain spaces in row 17, I'd stick to making them in chain spaces.  So Rnd 16 had 105 chain spaces.  Divided by 6 is 17.5--yay for it not being too weird a fraction -- so you'd want to increase in alternating 17th and 18th chain spaces.

2 hours ago, Granny Square said:

Round 14 = 90 dc + 90 ch-1 sps, which is 180 stitches.

Round 15 = 210 DC stitches.  So a gain of 30 stitches from the prior round.  180 divided by 30 is 6.  So logically you would add 1 stitch to each 6th stitch, which would be every third, not fourth, chain space...right?  DC-ch-DC-ch-DC-ch , the red (sixth) stitch gets an increase, so I think the pattern is in error.

Yes!  I think so. So if we carry on DC-ch-DC-ch-DC-ch-DC-ch-DC-ch-DC-ch

It looks like the increase is in every 4th space. Just badly written. 

I'm going to try it and then will let you know. I've already unravelled twice!

Thank you!  

1 hour ago, Granny Square said:

Fingers crossed that third time will be the charm!

It worked! Thank you so much for the clear instructions and taking the time to respond 🙌

The pattern makes it so much more complicated.

Thanks again 🤗

12 hours ago, Granny Square said:

:woo 

Lol. This pattern is further wrong.

Rnd 16: Rep Rnd 13 – 105 dc + 105 ch-1 sps.
Rnd 17: Ch 3, dc in same sp, dc in next ch-1 sp, *dc 
in next dc, dc in next ch-1 sp; rep from * around, 
working 2 dc in every 35th ch-1 sp, sl st into top of beg 
ch-3 – 216 dc.

I have my 210 stitches from Rnd 16 and I need to gain 6 stitches from the previous round. 210 ÷ 6 = 35. So I would need to add a stitch increase to every 35th stitch not space. I've only got 105 spaces so will only be able to increase 3 times leaving me 3 stitches short.

So should increase by 2 extra stitches in the 35th space or just increase by 1 every 17th or 18th space?

Edited by Saba

4 hours ago, Granny Square said:

Hmm.  Do you think there is an aesthetic reason it might look better/be easier to hide an increase in a space, versus sometimes in a DC, and sometimes in a space?

Sometimes increases are weird, in that the math just does not come out even, like you need to increase every 3.75 sts or whatever, so you end up with some mix of mostly skipping 4 but throw a skip 3 in every so often.  I just try to evenly space things as close as I can, but with an eye to it not being obvious.

In your pattern, the last increases were into chain spaces, and it just happened to work out even.  It was right to look at the total of DC and chain stitches to figure out how many more stitches you will be adding overall, and work them into chain spaces as the pattern said to keep the look as close as possible to the intended design.  But if that math on the didn't come out quite even, I'd have recommended for example every 3rd chain space except x instances you skip 4 or 2 evenly spaced across the piece (in other words don't bunch the odd numbers at 1 end).  I hope that makes sense.

Just to keep the trend going, since the last increases were made into a chain space and and are supposed to be made into chain spaces in row 17, I'd stick to making them in chain spaces.  So Rnd 16 had 105 chain spaces.  Divided by 6 is 17.5--yay for it not being too weird a fraction -- so you'd want to increase in alternating 17th and 18th chain spaces.

Yes I think you're right and that's what I was intending to do. Yes the increases jin the chain spaces look much better in this pattern.  I will stick to this trend going forward. Thank you 🤗

On 2/2/2020 at 10:57 PM, Saba said:

Yes I think you're right and that's what I was intending to do. Yes the increases jin the chain spaces look much better in this pattern.  I will stick to this trend going forward. Thank you 🤗

This pattern is driving me crazy and it's published by a reputable company!

Rnd 20: Rep Rnd 13 – 117 dc + 117 ch-1 sps.
Rnd 21: Ch 3, dc in same st as beg ch-3, 1 dc in each 
of the next 8 dc, *2 dc in next dc, 1 dc in each of the 
next 8 dc; rep from * around, sl st into top of beg ch-3 
–260 dc.

Following our trend I'm alternating the 2dc in every 4th or 5th space.

I think this should work out right?

You are giving my calculator a workout!  (kidding)

Rnd 20 ends with 234 stitches (remember, count ALL the stitches, 117+117=234), the next round has 260, so adds 26.  234 divided by 26 is 9, which is what round 21 is telling you to do - increase in the first stitch, 1 DC in each of the next 8 stitches whether they are DC or chain spaces, increase, repeat.  I think you didn't count the chain spaces as stitches, remember I said above 'It was right to look at the total of DC and chain stitches to figure out how many more stitches you will be adding overall' , and then for that particular pattern row to figure how to deal with additions into (only) the chain spaces to keep the pattern consistent.  In this row, it's all DC, and all the stitches in the row below are used, so it doesn't matter appearance-wise if an increase happens in a chain space or a DC.

Hope that makes sense.

9 hours ago, Granny Square said:

You are giving my calculator a workout!  (kidding)

Rnd 20 ends with 234 stitches (remember, count ALL the stitches, 117+117=234), the next round has 260, so adds 26.  234 divided by 26 is 9, which is what round 21 is telling you to do - increase in the first stitch, 1 DC in each of the next 8 stitches whether they are DC or chain spaces, increase, repeat.  I think you didn't count the chain spaces as stitches, remember I said above 'It was right to look at the total of DC and chain stitches to figure out how many more stitches you will be adding overall' , and then for that particular pattern row to figure how to deal with additions into (only) the chain spaces to keep the pattern consistent.  In this row, it's all DC, and all the stitches in the row below are used, so it doesn't matter appearance-wise if an increase happens in a chain space or a DC.

Hope that makes sense.

Me too! Lots of workings out. I shall have a careful look at this tomorrow night. I think I understand what you mean though. Thanks again. In your opinion do you think the pattern is wrong or just really badly written?

Well yes, there were some errors, although that last one you asked about was correct as I'm guessing other rows you didn't comment on were.

I'd use some word between 'badly' and 'well' written, I've seen some really gawdawful ones brought up here - one person who posted here cited a pattern where the designer made up her own unique code for the stitch names and instructions, that was entertaining.

I don't think it needed more steps necessarily, and I thought the way it was written was clear and in the manner of most published patterns--BUT it could have used a test crocheter to catch the math errors.  You shouldn't HAVE to check the designers' math for each line, but I hope we've given you ideas for how to do this on your own going forward.  If you know how to read stitch diagrams, sometimes drawing your own stitch 'sketch' helps too.

• Thanks 1