Help! c2c corner angle is off

Erendira

Question

I just started a c2c blanket. It looked great for the first few rows, but now that I've gotten about 10 rows in, I can see that there is a problem with the angle of the blanket. The corner is not a right angle; it is going wider for some reason. Does anyone know why this would happen, and what I could do to correct it?

8 answers to this question

I would say this is because your tension has loosened up as you went along---that's a common thing to have happen.  I would set this aside, and start over.  Intentionally loosen up your tension from the beginning, and see if it is better.  by keeping this one you can compare the 2nd one and see if it is better.   Also it may straighten up once you have more of it completed.  And too, it may change a bit once you wash it, which you can do at any time, you don't have to wait til it is completed.  

the other thing i can think of is if you accidentally added a new column of sts somewhere, but i don't think i see that in the photo, tho it could be hiding.  

• Like 1

Caveat:  I've never made a corner to corner  with this stitch pattern BUT I've made a lot of center-out doilies, and I do agree with Magiccrochetfan that it looks like a tension thing.  (OK Magiccrochetfan, this is a record...I usually get farther into my post before you beat me LOL.  OP, Magiccrochetfan and I often accidentally post at nearly the same time here )

With center-out anything, which this sort-of-is, your stitch height makes a difference.  There is a precise ratio you need to 'hit' for it to come out right, so the diameter has to be a certain ratio to the circumference for it to lie flat, and not ruffle or be cup shaped.  If this were a doily, or a granny square, it would be ruffling up a storm because your 'diameter' is too big (the hypotenuse, the edge farthest from the starting brown square).  This happens to me a lot, there are few doilies I don't have to tweak to get them to lie flat.

The solution to solving a ruffle is to remove stitches, or make taller stitches.  This pattern doesn't lend itself to removing stitches, but using extended DC, or possibly triples, instead of plain DC might solve the problem.  Sorry, this means starting over...

Edited by Granny Square
  • Like 1

Hi GrannySquare, yeah i saw you were online and so I expected that when i hit submit, I would see your post right above mine!  😂

About the stitch-height-to-width ratio, I thought about that and in fact started typing a sentence about it, but edited that out--because this stitch pattern has the little "blocks" of stitches set at angles to each other, they face different directions.  So i thought if there was a height difference, the different directions would cancel each other out.  Act "block" is sideways to the "blocks " surrounding it.  The diagram here shows the stitch orientations http://redagapeblog.com/c2c-tutorial/   (This is one st patt that really makes me dizzy to look at the diagram lol.   it's an interesting one to do and I always have to look it up to get started, but once you get going it isn't generally hard to keep track of.)  

Also I want to acknowledge that I mainly learned about the stitch proportion fact from GrannySquare, in conversations here and on Ravelry.  🎓

Ooohhh, didn't think about the different directions of the stitches....darn.  If you pasted 3 more identical blankets side to side in a circle with the brown squares in the middle, it would look like many of my doilies pre-blocking, excess fabric-wise.  Sorry I jumped to the wrong conclusion. 

Getting looser as the blanket gets heavier makes more sense.