How did it go from 4 to 8 stitches?

VivianWD

Question

I am an eternal beginner and I don’t understand where they incremented from 4 to 8 stitches:

Row 1: 1 sc in 2nd ch from hook, 3 sc. (4 total sts in row)
Row 2: Turn, ch 1(counts as st), [1 sc, ch 1] 3 times, 1 sc. (8 total sts in row)

2 answers to this question

The chains count as stitches.  This is normally true in all patterns, the odd thing about this one is that they also count the turning ch-1 as a stitch; normally  turning chains count in all stitches but sc.

"Round 2: Turn, ch 1(counts as st), [1 sc, ch 1] 3 times, 1 sc. (8 total sts in row)"

(diagrammed, reading left to right, the opposite way you'll see the stitches form--x is sc, o is chain): turn, o [x o x o x o] x

So you can see, there are 6 stitches inside the brackets, and 1 stitch on either end outside the brackets, for a total of 8.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Granny Square said:

The chains count as stitches.  This is normally true in all patterns, the odd thing about this one is that they also count the turning ch-1 as a stitch; normally  turning chains count in all stitches but sc.

"Round 2: Turn, ch 1(counts as st), [1 sc, ch 1] 3 times, 1 sc. (8 total sts in row)"

(diagrammed, reading left to right, the opposite way you'll see the stitches form--x is sc, o is chain): turn, o [x o x o x o] x

So you can see, there are 6 stitches inside the brackets, and 1 stitch on either end outside the brackets, for a total of 8.

Thank you! It makes sense now. I had never heard of using the chain in between stitches. 

I really appreciate your help! Have a wonderful rest of your Sunday!