Struggling with more advanced patterns

EmmaB

Question

Hi all, 

I would like to move into creating clothes and other items rather than just blankets. I bought a book with a beautiful shawl pattern but I just can't understand the pattern! Can anyone help please? 

I've attached a picture of the first part of the pattern, the shawl and also where I've got up to (which isn't very far!!) I understand how to make a magic ring and and chain. I can tr crochet but where I'm starting to get stuck is where it is saying on Row 1 12 sts + one 2-ch sp. Is this a further instruction or is it just a round up of what I've just done? It's all so confusing! Also not sure what a ch sp is - is that something I need to create or just something which is created when you do other stitches? Sorry if these are all really stupid questions. 

Thanks in advance xx

So far.jpg

Shawl.jpg

Pattern.jpg

6 answers to this question

Not stupid questions, just the first time you've encountered a new thing.

You are right in your guess to your first question, some patterns end each row with a helpful 'sanity check' summary of the total stitches you are supposed to end up with for that row.

A chain space is a span of chains between other stitches, example rnd 1 has the equivalent of 2 sets of 6 triples+ch2, so the ch2 is a ch sp.

If a lacy pattern has a complex repeat with different length chain spaces in 1 round, the following row or round will usually say 'do x in the chain 5 space, do y in the chain 2 space' for clarity.  But in your pattern, for that rnd it's all ch2 spaces so 'ch sp' suffices.

• Like 1

Sp is abbreviation for space.  A chain space is the space you create whenever you make a chain between other stitches.  

The part in italics is just a review of what you've done in the row.

what is the title of the book, and name of this shawl?  

• Like 1

You're very welcome 🙂   When working from a pattern book, be sure you have read everything at the front and back of the book, and chapter headings if any.  There may be helpful tips, explanations of abbreviations, etc in those sections.

Please do ask whatever you need to :hook