Baby blanket

mdkb904

Question

I’m working on a baby blanket and I’m working with 3 colors and want to do stripes I’m going from a deep violet, medium Violet , lilac. So I’m trying to figure out is how many stripes should I do. I added a picture of the colors that I’m using from Melissa 

FBD4E989-BD70-4D62-86C5-589C41AD0427.jpeg

4 answers to this question

How big do you want it?  When I acquired a grand niece and nephew to crochet for recently, I looked up  'crib blanket' size' and found 36"x48", but now I'm seeing variations on that.  One site I just looked at said 45x60".

"How many stripes" is not something anyone can answer--everybody's gauge is different, we don't know what stitch you want to use - making up a number, it could be 45 1" stripes, or 15 3" stripes, or heck 3 15" stripes for example (aiming at 45").  

The only way to do this based on your own gauge is to do a swatch with the stitch you want to use, figure out how tall one of your rows are, how many stitches wide it should be by your swatch, and decide the depth of the stripe you like the look of to and do the math to figure out how many rows of each color the stripe needs to be.

Edited by Granny Square

I did a search on Caron/Yarnspirations site, for 'pounder' yarn, and baby blankets.  There's a pink striped one there, but others that could be worked striped https://www.yarnspirations.com/patterns?prefn1=brand&prefn2=patternMadeFor&prefv3=Afghans %26 Blankets&prefv4=Crochet&prefv5=Home Décor&prefv6=One Pound&prefv1=Caron&prefv2=Baby&prefn3=patternProjectType&prefn4=patternSkillTypeString&prefn5=patternSubCategoryRefinement&prefn6=yarnProductLine

I was concerned you may not have enough yarn, but the striped one only calls for 2 'pounder' skeins and is 36"x38" so you should be good yarnwise.

By the way, you'll still have to do a swatch.  My gauge with a 5mm hook won't (necessarily) be the same as the designers', or yours.  I've told a story a few times here that when I've crocheted with my sister in law, I've had to change my hook by 5 sizes to match her gauge, so...yeah, a swatch is a necessary evil, but better than having to rip out...