Help breaking down line in Crochet pattern

Mic11

Question

I am trying to figure out a line in a crochet pattern. It says I’m suppose to end up with 14 sts at the end of the round, but I keep ending with 12 sts. If someone can maybe break down the pattern maybe I’m reading it wrong. Thank you so much!

sc 2, invdec 2 times, sc 2, inc 2

6 answers to this question

I assume you had the right stitch count of 14 stitches at the end of round 11.   And, not sure what an invisible decrease means, but I assume it is turning 2 stitches from the prior row into 1 stitch in the current row in a different way than sc2tog.

sc 2, uses 2 stitches and creates 2 stitches

invdec 2 times, uses 4 stitches and creates 2 stitches

sc 2, uses 2 stitches and creates 2 stitches

inc 2

Before the last increase 2, (which to me is ambiguous--one can increase 2 stitches 2 different ways) we have used 8 and created 6 stitches.

We had 14 stitches to start with.  Minus the 8 used, leaves 6 empty stitches in front of us.  

We have only made 6 stitches.  That means we need to create 8 stitches by increasing 2, to get to 14.  Um, what?

The 2 (traditional) ways I can think of to 'inc 2' is by putting 3 stitches into 1, or putting 2 stitches into each of the following 2 stitches.  But either way, something is "off" with this pattern.  The only way this is going to end up to end up back to a count of 14 is to scatter 2 increases randomly in the 6 remaining 'empty' stitches.

Edited by Granny Square

I think I  can understand this up thru rnd 9.   Not seeing how they come up with stitch count of 14 on rnd 10.

Rnd 10

invdc 2 times uses 4 stitches creates 2

sc 2 uses 2 stitches creates 2

Sc 2 in next 4 uses 4 stitches creates 8

Besides only coming up with a total of 10 stitches you have only worked into 10 of 12 stitches in rnd 9.

Then what's with round 13 saying sc 10 only and then giving you a stitch count of 14.

I was focusing on the highlighted  round 12.  The only way row 13 makes sense is if this is meant for shaping the arm in some way, example the 4 stitches omitted will end up being sewn in the underarm area perhaps.  BUT it would have been helpful if the pattern acknowledged that, as in '14 including the 4 skipped stitches from round 12".

1-4 looks ok, but round 5 looks funky as well, I stopped reading after that. (round 5 - start with 9 stitches, put 4 bobble stitches in the first stitch, sc in the next 8 - ok, you've used all 9 stitches, and created 12 stitches - but then you are supposed to do an invdec (with no stitches left) and end up with 8.  Ah, no. 

1 hour ago, Granny Square said:

I was focusing on the highlighted  round 12.  The only way row 13 makes sense is if this is meant for shaping the arm in some way, example the 4 stitches omitted will end up being sewn in the underarm area perhaps.  BUT it would have been helpful if the pattern acknowledged that, as in '14 including the 4 skipped stitches from round 12".

1-4 looks ok, but round 5 looks funky as well, I stopped reading after that. (round 5 - start with 9 stitches, put 4 bobble stitches in the first stitch, sc in the next 8 - ok, you've used all 9 stitches, and created 12 stitches - but then you are supposed to do an invdec (with no stitches left) and end up with 8.  Ah, no. 

Definitely not the best written pattern I have seen.