Sign in to follow this  
Mic11

Help breaking down line in Crochet pattern

Question

I am trying to figure out a line in a crochet pattern. It says I’m suppose to end up with 14 sts at the end of the round, but I keep ending with 12 sts. If someone can maybe break down the pattern maybe I’m reading it wrong. Thank you so much!

sc 2, invdec 2 times, sc 2, inc 2

6 answers to this question

Can you tell us the definition of each of those abbreviations?  How many sts in the previous row?  

That’s the whole pattern it’s rnd 12 I’m having trouble with. 
the abbreviations are 

sc: single crochet 

invdec: invisible decrease

inc: increase

729371F2-3870-4D19-8AE7-6EBDBCF08478.jpeg

076C3752-E06E-4057-98E8-2FF405DE62F1.jpeg

I assume you had the right stitch count of 14 stitches at the end of round 11.   And, not sure what an invisible decrease means, but I assume it is turning 2 stitches from the prior row into 1 stitch in the current row in a different way than sc2tog.

sc 2, uses 2 stitches and creates 2 stitches

invdec 2 times, uses 4 stitches and creates 2 stitches

sc 2, uses 2 stitches and creates 2 stitches

inc 2

Before the last increase 2, (which to me is ambiguous--one can increase 2 stitches 2 different ways) we have used 8 and created 6 stitches.

We had 14 stitches to start with.  Minus the 8 used, leaves 6 empty stitches in front of us.  

We have only made 6 stitches.  That means we need to create 8 stitches by increasing 2, to get to 14.  Um, what?

The 2 (traditional) ways I can think of to 'inc 2' is by putting 3 stitches into 1, or putting 2 stitches into each of the following 2 stitches.  But either way, something is "off" with this pattern.  The only way this is going to end up to end up back to a count of 14 is to scatter 2 increases randomly in the 6 remaining 'empty' stitches.

Edited by Granny Square

I think I  can understand this up thru rnd 9.   Not seeing how they come up with stitch count of 14 on rnd 10.

Rnd 10

invdc 2 times uses 4 stitches creates 2

sc 2 uses 2 stitches creates 2

Sc 2 in next 4 uses 4 stitches creates 8

Besides only coming up with a total of 10 stitches you have only worked into 10 of 12 stitches in rnd 9.

Then what's with round 13 saying sc 10 only and then giving you a stitch count of 14.

I was focusing on the highlighted  round 12.  The only way row 13 makes sense is if this is meant for shaping the arm in some way, example the 4 stitches omitted will end up being sewn in the underarm area perhaps.  BUT it would have been helpful if the pattern acknowledged that, as in '14 including the 4 skipped stitches from round 12".

1-4 looks ok, but round 5 looks funky as well, I stopped reading after that. (round 5 - start with 9 stitches, put 4 bobble stitches in the first stitch, sc in the next 8 - ok, you've used all 9 stitches, and created 12 stitches - but then you are supposed to do an invdec (with no stitches left) and end up with 8.  Ah, no. 

1 hour ago, Granny Square said:

I was focusing on the highlighted  round 12.  The only way row 13 makes sense is if this is meant for shaping the arm in some way, example the 4 stitches omitted will end up being sewn in the underarm area perhaps.  BUT it would have been helpful if the pattern acknowledged that, as in '14 including the 4 skipped stitches from round 12".

1-4 looks ok, but round 5 looks funky as well, I stopped reading after that. (round 5 - start with 9 stitches, put 4 bobble stitches in the first stitch, sc in the next 8 - ok, you've used all 9 stitches, and created 12 stitches - but then you are supposed to do an invdec (with no stitches left) and end up with 8.  Ah, no. 

Definitely not the best written pattern I have seen.