Suggestions for border to use on sides of too-narrow waffle stitch lapghan

Lagil

Question

Hi, all!

I'm making a lapghan for charity, using a waffle crochet stitch. Even though I started out with more stiches in the foundation chain than was called for, the lapghan has come out to be only 23" wide. I'm thinking about putting a border of a contrasting color on each side to widen it, but I don't know what that border stitch should be and how it would work. Any suggestions?

I'm up for trying anything that doesn't involve trc stitches, because I loathe doing those! Also, I considered trying to just make two additional narrow waffle-stitch panels and sewing them on, but I don't feel confident that I can make them come out as a good match for the center (main) part, especially since I'll be using a different brand/type of yarn (although I intend to go for as similar a weight as I can).

Thanks, in advance, for any help!
Laura

Edit: I've been thinking... What about if I used a diamond stitch? If I wanted to do that, how do i figure out how many foundational sc stitches I should try to build onto the side? Each row ends in a plain dc stitch that is not worked into, making the sides intentionally a little....wavy?

Edited by Lagil
New thought!

1 answer to this question

Diamond trellis stitch = says multiple of 4 (there are oodles of different diamond stitch patterns out there, this is just one)

However, I'd consider doing a plain stitch, like SC or DC, to not compete with the waffle stitch in the center.  Or if you want to do the diamonds, do a few inches of plain stitches between the waffles and the diamonds.