Sirdar Snuggly DK Blankets

leanne1967

Question

CIRCULAR SHAWL Using 4.00 crochet hook make 5ch, ss to 1st ch to form a ring. 1st Round. 3ch (3ch counts as 1tr, 1ch), (1tr, 1ch) 11 times into ring, ss into 2nd of 3ch. 2nd Round. * (1dc, 1tr, 1dtr) all into next ch sp, (1dtr, 1tr, 1dc) into next ch sp, rep from * to end, ss to 1st dc.   3rd Round. Ss into 1tr and into each of next 2dtr, * 5ch, ss into each of next 2dtr, rep from * to * 4 times more, 5ch, ss to 1st ss at top of dtr. 

the part in red i dont understand

2 answers to this question

Welcome to the 'ville!

It looks like you are working in the round, so are starting round 3 into the beginning stitches of round 2.

The first 6 stitches of round 2 are 1dc, 1tr, 1dtr, 1dtr, 1tr, 1dc (I just copy/pasted what you typed above for rnd 2, excluding extra words and punctuation).  You have already slip stitched into the first dc when you joined the end of round 2 to the beginning of round 2.  The 3 stitches after that first dc from round 2, that are in front of you to be worked into in round 3, are 1 triple and 2 dtrs--the part you highlighted in red in your post.  These 3 stitches are to be slipped stitched into.

edit, thoughts on why the pattern is doing this...some patterns in the round change the starting point of a round when a stitch design changes.  I have seen this occasionally on vintage doilies, slip stitching a bit to the left of the prior round's start and chaining up for a new start point, or even at the end of a round joining, turning it over and slips stitching in the 'wrong' direction, then turning and proceeding from a new point to the right of the old round's starting point.  Slip stitching gets the yarn from point A to point B without cutting the yarn, and is (almost) invisible). 

Edited by Granny Square