identify stitch please?

chickie

Question

I made a cowl a while back, and I have forgotten what stitch I used.  I'm not a pro, so I don't know that many stitches.  I have tried to replicate the cowl using sc, dc, tc, moss stitch, extended mesh stitch (single and double), waffle stitch... I can't get it to look like the cowl I made.  It has two distinct patterns, one on each side, and I know it was worked in the round.  Can anyone help me figure out what stitch I used?

Thank you

20191226_220333.jpg

20191226_220507.jpg

20191226_220426.jpg

6 answers to this question

Its not thick. It's actually very flat, almost more like knitting than crochet.   On the front, each stitch sits right above the one in the last row, rather than in-between, like regular crochet.  And the reverse has almost a straight line going across it.   I do know that working in the round can make a whole different look using the same stitch. But I'm still stumped. I stretched them out here so maybe the stitches show better. Thanks for looking!

20191227_134251.jpg

20191227_134305.jpg

671409662_Colorworkspiral2loopvsbackloop.jpg.a7a63ba7f2b0cb0f28038485dcbeb0d1.jpg

I agree with Magiccrochetfan.  See the horizontal raised lines on the front side of your piece?  Those are the front loops that you didn't use, when you went into the back loops only (BLO), in the round.  And on my swatch (sorry it's so big), the top half with the straight vertical red stripe, showing that working in the round in the back loop stops the rightward 'drift' that you get by working in both loops as shown inbottom half of my swatch, with the the drifting grey stripe.  

When you stitch in SC BLO in rows back and forth, it makes ribbing on both sides.  When you do it in the round, it makes a decorative ridge on the front side.

Edited by Granny Square
  • Like 1

Yay!  You were right, Kathy!  And thanks for pointing that out, Granny!   I had thought of that, but when I tried it, it didn't look right. Turns out I just had to make a few more rows to really see the lines start to show.  Sc, blo...how simple!!  A simple change like working in the round sure does make a difference in how the finished product looks.  Thanks to both of you for puzzling this out with me.  I love this Village! It has such awesome people!  :ty

Grannysquare, I am blown away that you actually took the time to do a swatch to show the lines and the drifting, etc.  It all made perfect sense after I looked at it.  That was really kind of you. Thanks again! :day

Chickie, you're welcome, but actually I made the swatch for myself a while back to test out an instruction for another project. 

During the last Winter Olympics I found a crochet pattern for the knitted US Olympic hats used in the closing ceremony, which instructed to work in the back loop to keep the colorwork pattern lines straight.  I was all "why would that make a difference?" and had to test it out, ergo the swatch.  If you are interested, here is the pattern for the hat.