Boxing Day 2020 CAL Share any charity work!

babypoohsmom

Chris you are doing a fantastic job this year with the doll clothes.  Like you I think its going to be a tough Christmas for many.

Darski the blanket looks perfect for dolls.

Denise sending prayers and healing vibes for your dad.  I havent got to crochet much the past year.  I have been helping care for my sister since late Feb.  Last year about this time we got busy with moving.  I hope your dad quickly recovers so you can get back to fostering kitties and crocheting.  

Our Generation Short Sleeved Sweater and Skirt

Spreading out my efforts across different doll projects to keep myself focused.  I have no idea why since I am home most of the time during the day anyways, but not getting out at all during the weekends and rarely at night just seems to wear me down.  Oddly I think I'd be more rested.

Chris you are accomplishing so much!  I really am enjoying seeing all the doll clothes.  I finally picked up a hook for the first time in months.  Needed to come up with mask ties.  I am using a pattern where I can use elastic or 55 to 60 inch sneaker or boot laces and have used up the laces.  Its not like cotton crochet yarn is in short supply at my house.  By using the laces the masks work well for dh, myself, sis, and niece.  So far 4 for dh, 4 for me, 8 for niece and 8 for sis.  

Dad is finally back home, again. My brother is still here so that is great. I also finally took in two kittens. One is buff and the other is a Siamese. They are both little sweethearts. They lived in a horrible place and were covered with fleas, but somehow still trust. It breaks my heart, but these are some of the lucky ones.

Our shelter is going to finally get to put cats back in Petsmart tomorrow. We are only filling half of the kennels for now and are following the glove, mask and distancing rules. For the last 6 weeks we've just had pictures and bios of our dogs, cats and bunnies hanging in the store and did adoptions by appointment. Although getting back into the store should feel normal, it doesn't. 

Anyway tomorrow I will have a picture of what I have been working on....

• Like 1

Well, posting pictures "tomorrow" turned in to a week later. My Dad is back in hospital with a twisted intestine. Had emergency surgery. Poor guy can't get a break. That is two major surgeries in 3 weeks.

Here is a picture of all of the stuff that went to the rescue last weekend.

image.thumb.jpeg.ff9b3e5c0fc0484829eea62546f1a5b3.jpeg

• Like 2

Denise lovely pile of things for the rescue.  Sorry about your dad.  I can sort of relate to what you are probably going thru.  My sis had knee replacement surgery end of Feb and 10 days later surgery for perforated intestine.  My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

The Senior Village put out a request for ear savers so I made some over the weekend.

good morning

prayers for your dad

have put yarn on pause,doing alot of coloring in adult coloring books, to keep track I put Q, month and year

Rene' and I are trying our hand at making masks,its a real horse and pony show at times,since both machines are vintage,hers an old elna,and mine a 49 yr old kenmore,Bill is our troubleshooter and I think he has learned more than he ever wanted to about sewing machines, when he is not doing that, we have him cutting out the fabric,he is a whiz with the rotary cutter, we needed to find something for him, he's been home from the college since the 3rd week in March,I thought one month off at Christmas break was long !!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bailey4 said:

I'm still not sure I understand how the ear savers are supposed to work but I think it is great you are providing them for people.

This is one of the basic easy dresses for the 18" doll.  Something bright for the day.

18" Doll Dress with Hat

Scroll down just a bit and it shows one being worn.  It goes behind your head and the elastic hooks over the buttons instead of your of your ears.  I hated wearing masks at work because the longer I wear one the more my ears hurt from pressure of the elastic pulling on them and it can rub your skin raw.  Thats why I searched for a pattern where I had the option of running boot laces thru and tie the mask on.  

Edited by bgs

4 hours ago, pineknott said:

good morning

prayers for your dad

have put yarn on pause,doing alot of coloring in adult coloring books, to keep track I put Q, month and year

Rene' and I are trying our hand at making masks,its a real horse and pony show at times,since both machines are vintage,hers an old elna,and mine a 49 yr old kenmore,Bill is our troubleshooter and I think he has learned more than he ever wanted to about sewing machines, when he is not doing that, we have him cutting out the fabric,he is a whiz with the rotary cutter, we needed to find something for him, he's been home from the college since the 3rd week in March,I thought one month off at Christmas break was long !!!

I purchased my Brother sewing machine  in 1974 with graduation money.  Poor thing is so scratched up.  The guys in my family forever had me repairing their jeans, jackets, insulated coveralls and those big metal zippers would scratch the machine because it was really hard to wrangle that bulky stuff down to feed thru machine.  As for Bill's extended time off :hug.

Edited by bgs

I could never master the sewing machine.  Especially threading it.  I think if they could have made a self threader, I might have been OK.

I ended last year and started this year with doll blankets again as my "travel" project but with the onset of COVID no more travel and the few times I do, no bringing stuff.  However, the blankets have been great for virtual online family meetings and the few online appointments I've had.  I've also been using them to clear my mind when I have a problem pattern or if I need a break between patterns.  So this is the latest finished one.

Pink Seed Stitch Doll Blanket

Bailey4

you would not like the Kenmore its a pita to thread, and also the bobbin housing is tricky to get just right,if you mis q it dumps the bobbin out and it rolls across the floor

I remember trying to learn on my Mom's and it was a nightmare to thread.  She seemed to have a relationship with it but it was always a mystery how she threaded the thing.  Even in home ec I could sew once someone threaded the machine, but threading it and having to change colors just never happened.

My grandmother used to sew with a knee peddle one.  The range of machines was amazing there just were never any no need to thread machines.

1 hour ago, Bailey4 said:

Our Generation Elizabeth Skirt and Summer Jacket

Lately my clothes have been running to the large size.  I was sure this would fit the My Life Doll and I'd have to make it larger for the Our Generation, but not the case.  It was boxy on the My Life doll but I liked the fit on the Our Generation doll.

so sweet

My goodness, you have been busy. It may seem like I am repeating posts, but Dad was back to the ER again last Friday with a fever. Spent 36 hours in the Covid unit while he waited for his results. Turns out he had an infection from the 2nd surgery. He is doing great today. Back to eating and even doing his own laundry. I am hoping this will be my last few days staying at his house.

My cousin is an ICU nurse in the Covid unit in Green Bay and says they love the ear savers. They do keep  the elastic from digging at their ears. He's had bruises on his forehead from the plastic shields. He's been nursing in ICU for more than 30 years and he said he's just never seen anything like this. It's wearing on him, I can tell. I hope the cases reduce soon.

Whew, anyway, of course you had to make the little bear picnic. That is just too adorable. And that simple pattern you posted is the one I used for the 4 dresses I just sent you. But the color changes and stripes can make them look really different. 

As far as machines go, my mom bought me a Husqvarna Viking machine, used, when I was 12. I am now 54 and I still love that machine. About 2 years ago the clutch that disengages the needle bar while winding a new bobbin broke. Nobody has the part (can't they 3D print one) and if they did find the part, they said it would be a couple hundred dollars for labor. I don't care, I love that machine. It weighs 30 pounds and it has never backed down from a project. I do have a fancy new machine and even invested in a new embroidery machine a few years ago when they had a 4 years same as cash. So now it's paid off but I am not retired yet to get some use out of it!! I know a lot of people have been cooped up lately, but with my job in public safety and looking after my Dad, I'd kind of like a few weeks to myself. So many projects to finish!! Thanks for keeping me connected with all of the chatter and projects here! 

• Like 1