Help with spaghetti yarn

Chelkee

Question

Hi everyone, I’m trying to figure out how to make a bag out of spaghetti yarn (t shirt yarn). Every way I’ve tried it’s just not turning out smooth without holes. 
I’ve tried using a smaller hook size but it turns out very stiff then I tried using the correct 15mm size hook but it turned out with a lot of holes from the hook size.

Am I using the wrong yarn or am I just not doing this correctly. 

Any help would be great please. Thank you!

1E3F528A-FE6D-4AA7-9152-54217F236C2A.jpeg

6 answers to this question

My first thought was, line the bag with fabric, which is the norm for crochet bags (purses).  I don't think there is any crochet stitch that's completely devoid of holes.

You could try slip stitch crochet, in the round it looks like knit stockinette (but sideways) http://new.slipstitchcrochet.com/index.htm  One of the menus across the tops has other stitch pattern 'looks' that you can achieve.

The thermal stitch is the densest stitch I can think of, but it is a yarn eater and the fabric is quite stiff, which might not be a bad thing for a bag.  https://newstitchaday.com/how-to-crochet-the-single-crochet-thermal-stitch/

I have done projects using the above 2 stitches, but waistcoat stitch is on my list to try - it is denser than SC and looks like knit stockinette right-side up, but I believe it needs to be done in the round to get the look....I stand corrected, this video says it can be done flat too, I'll have to check it out

https://www.fiberfluxblog.com/2019/03/the-waistcoat-stitch-crochet-knit.html

Most crochet isn't smooth, the smoothest yarny stitch I can think of is knit stockinette, which a couple of these emulate.  I don't know of anything that is smooth on both sides, even knit (the backside of stockinette is 'purl bumps').

Thank you so much for your reply. I’m fairly new to crocheting and am still learning different stitches. I’ll give the stitches you mentioned a try and I’ll also line the bag with fabric. 
Also should I be using the correct hook size for this yarn which is 15mm or would I use a smaller size? 

You're welcome.  I've never worked with this sort of yarn, but crikey, 15mm is immense (I overlooked that part from your first post, sorry was focusing on thinking of smooth and dense stitches).  Actually that hook and that yarn would probably be a good combo for a market bag sort of thing, which is often in an open netting / slouchy sort of pattern.

One thing you'll find out is that everybody has their own stitch tension.  I might take the same hook and yarn and stitch pattern and stitch a lot tighter or looser than you do, or than a designer of a pattern I want to follow, so I might have to 'swatch' a bit with different sized hooks to hit close to a pattern gauge (if it needs to fit) or to achieve a look I like.  There is a range, but no such thing as 1 right hook for 1 yarn style for every crafter and every project.  

I have looked at other projects (at another site) using this yarn, and see smaller hooks used.  Example, some  pretty sturdy & not holey baskets with a 7 or 8 mm hook, some with 10mm hook.  It also looks like this particular yarn style is discontinued, so you may be 'stuck' if you don't have enough yarn to finish a project.

I like your idea of a market bag, I was wracking my brains trying to figure out what sort of bag I could make with this yarn or even what sort of crochet project I could use it for. I also like the idea of using it for making baskets. 

Do you have any recommendations on the sort of yarn I would use to make a bag or purse?

I’ve attached tao photos of the type of bags I’m trying to make but I can’t figure out what sort of yarn it is. 
I really appreciate your help!

B3ED5676-465E-4C2A-9B3B-F9ACE4BD4BE3.jpeg

BD734291-DEDA-4C3C-A1A1-47115F79C2E9.jpeg

It does look like your general type/style of yarn was likely used.  When I said 'discontinued', that was specifically for that brand and style, I'm sure there are other companies making similar stuff (it just will not exactly match your yarn brand dye lot, in case you run out mid-bag).  I've been crafting for decades and there have been lots of 'yarn fads' come and go, tho, so you never know.

Another sort of 'yarn' that I've seen for purses is finer stuff, nylon 'thread' https://www.yarnspirations.com/red-heart-nylon-crochet-thread-size-18/138.html .  I'm confused by their 'size 18 thread' sizing, 'modern normal size' cotton doily thread is size 10 and bigger numbers in thread is thinner thread (as in, size 50 is about the size of thread you'd use in a sewing machine); this stuff is closer to aran or dk weight, the site says a 4mm hook is appropriate, which would work for either DK or aran.  You might be able to find similar and less expensive stuff in the hardware store, and cotton 'string' of a similar thickness would be sturdy too.  At the link, there is an area of 'patterns you love' (using this yarn/thread), click on the purse to see what it looks like made up.  (edit, it seems every time you come back to the site different pattern ideas come up, there are more than 1 purses on that site using this stuff)

Edited by Granny Square

Just finished this hat from spaghetti yarn for my brother in law for Christmas. It’s all double crochet and I used size 10mm hook. I also thought it would have too many holes, especially as a hat to keep his head warm, but the finished product looks much nicer than the rows by themselves! (Also I finger-knit the scarf pictured with loopy yarn for my mother in law! I ❤️ handmade gifts!) 

E053CFD4-0BF1-4B05-BE49-DE6CB6FF893E.jpeg