Crocheting

Deb Pinkerton

Question

2 answers to this question

Unfortunately, because the circle was 'squared off', it might not be fixable without ripping back.  If it was  ruffling and stayed in a circle shape to the end, you possibly could have blocked it out by stretching and pinning into shape (which you'd need to do each time it was laundered).  Usually, the time to mitigate a 'not lying flat' problem is when you see it developing.  Are the animals appliques? if so it might make sense to remove them and rip back and re-do from the spot the 'not flat' became apparent.  Two ways things made in the round don't lie flat:

Cupping - making a bubble in the middle - the cause is too much diameter, too little circumference.  Fix: add circumference (add stitches) or reduce diameter (shorter stitches, fewer rounds).  This is the hardest to mitigate after the fact, in that it's really difficult to block out unless it's really lacy fabric (the blocking is scrunching, not stretching; I've managed it for starched doilies where you have more control, but never a yarny thing).

Ruffling - the cause is too little diameter, too much circumference.  Fix: reduce circumference (subtract stitches) or add diameter (taller stitches, add rounds without increasing)  Ruffling is easier to fix (while you are making it), because even if it ruffles for a several inches, you can completely undo it by 'working even' for example.  

Steaming/'killing' if it's acrylic, changes the texture and it won't have the same stretchy properties--it becomes 'crunchy' and limp.  The center isn't lying flat because there's too much fabric in the middle and not enough around the edge, which would be the case with cupping OR ruffling if you've 'captured' the ruffling with a (now) too small squared off part...I can't see steaming helping unless you can somehow first pin-block it by scrunching it flat satisfactorily. You could try making a little swatch first, trying to make a  bubble on purpose, and see if you can block/scrunch it out and then 'killing' it into place.  (You don't want to get the iron closer than a couple of inches from the acrylic, and very briefly).

I make a lot of doilies, in the round, and deal with ruffling and cupping all the time.  It happens when my stitch height gauge is taller or shorter than the designers', so I've become accustomed to figuring out how to deal with it without making the doily look too weird.  Everybody has a different stitch gauge, so I'm sure you didn't do anything wrong.