pepperonan

help with jasmine stitch?

Question

Hi! I'm getting back into crochet after a long time of only knitting, and I just learned jasmine stitch. The video I watched, though, said not to use a really lightweight or small yarn, since it would be more fiddly. What exactly is meant by that? So far I can't tell a difference, and smaller gauge yarn actually looks much nicer with jasmine stitch as far as I can tell. Is there something I'm missing?

2 answers to this question

I had to look up jasmine stitch (so many stitches have multiple names, and same name for different stitches...)  It reminds me of a cluny lace daisy, kinda sorta (the daisy is done with tall formed stitches, not puff stitches--the 8 petaled flowers on the cover page of the link).  But I can't see any reason why the yarn used would make the same stitch fiddly or not.  Actually as a threadie myself I'd possibly opine the opposite, so I'd just consider 'fiddly' her opinion, use the yarn you like!

Edited by Granny Square

6 hours ago, Granny Square said:

Actually as a threadie myself I'd possibly opine the opposite, so I'd just consider 'fiddly' her opinion, use the yarn you like!

I agree!  Some people just don't like fine yarn/thread.  Plus, if you're already making it with a fine yarn and like the process and the results, then that's your answer.  Smaller yarn looks better for a LOT of things in my opinion!  

Maybe the video-maker thought her viewers would have minimal crochet experience and have a hard time seeing their stitches while learning.