xturtletoex

Need a Thick Stitch

Question

Hi,

I recently bought some baby yarn since it was so soft.  I am wanting to make an Afghan out of it.  I've never worked with yarn so thin before.  It's #3 light yarn.

I think a single crochet stitch would make the afghan to light.  I am wondering if there is a stitch that could make thicker stitches hence making a thicker afghan with the yarn.

Are there stitches that can do that?

Thanks for any help,

xturtletoex

3 answers to this question

there isn't a specific stitch that is thicker than an sc.  I find sc to be a pretty dense stitch, myself.  

you can combine stitches to make a more textured fabric.  things like post stitches, for example, or overlay crochet.  but you know, many many afghans have been made out of this weight of yarn, so I think you should at least make a swatch with it and see if you don't like it.  

The thickest thing I can think of is a 'thermal stitch'; it's also really stiff, I wouldn't use it for a blanket, but then have only done it with worsted weight.  It's like 1 step forward, half step back as far as progress.  (interesting, in searching for a video I didn't know there was a DC version)

Slip stitch for an entire project is a thing, looks like sideways knitting.  Would also take longer than SC - really, anything 'thicker than SC' is going to take longer, and use more yarn.

HDC is thick-ish, a tad thicker than SC IMO.

Oh, have you ever tried any Tunisian stitches?  A Tunisian knit stitch looks like knit stockinette but is thicker.  You would need a cabled hook for the width of an afghan.

I agree with Magiccrochetfan to swatch around.  Really, the asset of that weight yarn is that is lighter and drapier than, well, thicker yarns.  Maybe think 'light summer throw' versus 'heavy winter blanket'? 

Edited by Granny Square

I was poking around and found some waffle stitch items, here is one tutorial.  Any pattern using post stitches is going to be thicker (but more yarn eating), example a basketweave or cable pattern.

By the way, if you find a baby blanket pattern you like, you can easily embiggen it-- make a starting chain a bit longer than you think you need, turn, stitch back, and stop short at the end of a stitch repeat leaving a few extra chains dangling.  These chains can be picked out later and the the end woven in, the chain won't unravel from the beginning end.  I also add a few chains when it says to chain over 100, I do count but just in case....